• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about insurance

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
With Jaspers recent dental problems I was thinking perhaps I should look at getting insurance for all three bunnies. Obviously jasper wouldn't be covered for dental issues but what about the others? Nibbles has had his incisors removed due to damage caused by trauma. Is this likely to affect eligibility for other dental issues even if they're not related? Buttons, touch wood, has been fine.

Unfortunately Nibbles wouldn't be covered for dental issues. Willow had GI stasis just once about 7 months ago and I didn't insure them until 2 months ago but she isn't covered for any digestive problems now as a result. It seems that even a slight hint of there being a problem (or a one off) and their instantly not covered.

Unfortunately Nibbles wouldn't be covered for dental issues. Willow had GI stasis just once about 7 months ago and I didn't insure them until 2 months ago but she isn't covered for any digestive problems now as a result. It seems that even a slight hint of there being a problem (or a one off) and their instantly not covered.

If it's Petplan they might agree to lift the exclusion after a set amount of time. Rudy used to be excluded for 'gastrointestinal' issues but said if he was free from them for 12 months they'd lift the exclusion. He's now covered.

Given the original dental issue was trauma rather than constitutional I think it would be worth asking them, you might get an insurer that wouldn't see it as a problem.

Also, just because dental issues aren't covered I wouldn't rule out bothering with insurance, just because one area isn't covered doesn't mean insurance won't be worth having. For instance, I covered Artie when he was ?7 years old and he had surgery and was having ongoing treatment for bladder sludge. This was costing me c£350 a year. Only a few months after I took out the cover he was diagnosed with kidney stones and had £1,400 worth of treatment - Pets at Home paid out up to the £1,000 limit which was a godsend. I really didn't expect them to pay out given the similarity of the conditions but my vet said they weren't connected.

If it's Petplan they might agree to lift the exclusion after a set amount of time. Rudy used to be excluded for 'gastrointestinal' issues but said if he was free from them for 12 months they'd lift the exclusion. He's now covered.
Oh wow, I didn't know that! Yes it is with Petplan so I will have to ask about it once she has been free from it for a year, thank you!

Typical :D just Buttons then!
I would still insure all three of them as there are so many other illnesses that they could get that they would be covered for. (I apologize if you were still going to and I just read it wrong haha) If you usr Petplan then you also get a discount if you insure all three bunnies at the same time too. [emoji4]

Oh wow, I didn't know that! Yes it is with Petplan so I will have to ask about it once she has been free from it for a year, thank you!

I was actually a bit narked with them as he's also excluded for dental, facial abscess etc etc. I adopted him at one year old and he had molar spur dental a few weeks later. At age 8 (no more dentals) I asked if they'd reconsider, they won't ... yet he had 4 to 5 stasis episodes a year for the first few years I had him and they lift the exclusion. Not consistent but at least one exclusion was lifted!! I think the underwriters put whether it's permanent or not on their notes and it's in tablets of stone if it's permanent :roll:

Sorry I meant just buttons being covered for dental issues! I'll get in touch with pet plan and see what they say re nibbles

I was actually a bit narked with them as he's also excluded for dental, facial abscess etc etc. I adopted him at one year old and he had molar spur dental a few weeks later. At age 8 (no more dentals) I asked if they'd reconsider, they won't ... yet he had 4 to 5 stasis episodes a year for the first few years I had him and they lift the exclusion. Not consistent but at least one exclusion was lifted!! I think the underwriters put whether it's permanent or not on their notes and it's in tablets of stone if it's permanent :roll:
I would be too, it sounds ridiculous that they lifted one thing but not the other, although as you say at least one was lifted haha.

Back