• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits mounting all day long?!

benroles

New Kit
Hi all,

I have two rabbits - male and female that were successfully bonded in early December. Both are neutered - the female around 4 months ago and the male 6 months or so ago. They have been living together fine. However, today the female has spent the entire time chasing the male around trying to mount him. I don't know if it's because it's been the first proper spring day with the sun shining or what, but he has to keep running away, eventually entering a tunnel to hide in. I even tried separating them (a wire mesh between them in the house / run area) but as soon as that was removed she went straight for him!

Is this usual? What might be happening here?

Thanks for your help!

Ben.

So this morning the mounting started immediately, but he is now also trying to mount her so it's turned in to a massive mount-fest. She seems better at chasing him though so he ends up having to hide in his tight tunnel.

So what is this all about? Should I be worried?

Hello there. It could be a reaction to the longer days and although b oth bunnies are neutered they may still feel that mating should be happening. Otherwise it could be the male is ill in some way and the female is taking advantage of this weakness and trying to show dominance. Are there any signs of illness with either of them at the moment? Also,how old are they?

Hi... The male is around a year and the female 9 months or so. Neither seem Ill - they are eating and drinking etc. I've noticed the female suddenly scenting everything too - wherever she goes she's chin rubbing. She's really obsessed with chasing him though... Although as I say he has the occasional go to...

No... They have a shared hutch with round the clock access to a multi-level run and play zone I made. I just checked and he's hiding in his tunnel again so she can't get him. Could it just be a spring thing? I've seen a few other threads on here of similar behaviour?

Sounds like spring fever. Be careful, though; their bond could break if they get sick of each other. I have a trio and my boy has been constantly pestering the girls (they are all neutered) and sometimes I've had to step in to stop him from tormenting them too much. I find distracting them with fresh hay/toys/forage etc helps. :)

I think you are right Vegan Bunny... we've had a cold, rainy day today and it seems to have really calmed her down! Just been to give them some kale and they are sitting next to each other happy as anything. I put her in timeout yesterday for a couple of hours too (basically putting a divide I've made in their run so they can see each other but not get to each other) just to give him some space! As I say though, they seem happy as anything now. I think I'll just monitor them!

Thanks for your help!

Back