• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Caring for an elderly bun

karen354

Warren Veteran
My Bertie bun is 12/13 years of age, he's a house bun and is a very lively and happy bun. He does like his rest and sleep after a lively 1/2 hour. He eats like a horse but with being elderly struggles to keep the weight on him, he's not skinny by no means but I do have to monitor his weight. One thing he does do, when he wakes up after sleep he really stretches his back Paws and it's not always after his nap. I'm positive he's not in any pain but he does seem like he's stretching those old bones. A lot of his poops are good hay poops but he does leave a lot of poops that he should be eating, is there anything anyone can suggest? I'm aware he could have athritus but is there anything that a vet can give him?. His eye sight isn't brilliant anymore so I know taking him to the vet would stress him out terribly.

My Bertie bun is 12/13 years of age, he's a house bun and is a very lively and happy bun. He does like his rest and sleep after a lively 1/2 hour. He eats like a horse but with being elderly struggles to keep the weight on him, he's not skinny by no means but I do have to monitor his weight. One thing he does do, when he wakes up after sleep he really stretches his back Paws and it's not always after his nap. I'm positive he's not in any pain but he does seem like he's stretching those old bones. A lot of his poops are good hay poops but he does leave a lot of poops that he should be eating, is there anything anyone can suggest? I'm aware he could have athritus but is there anything that a vet can give him?. His eye sight isn't brilliant anymore so I know taking him to the vet would stress him out terribly.

Is Bertie an only bun? That makes losing his eyesight and vet visits a bit more difficult for him but not impossible!

Maybe your vet could give you some metacam to use when you think he may be stiff? I think that stretching the back legs is normal, especially for our older bunnies, and so long as they can hop and stretch, I think they are doing really well!

I have looked after rabbits who have got to that age, what an honour and a privilege it is :D I think you have to accept that if you give him a bit extra food to keep his weight up, he's going to leave a few cecals lying around now and again. Just make sure he keeps his back end clean and tidy (or help him :)).

Heat is good, and a heated pad sometimes helps when the weather is cold, or even not so cold :D

Hello, Bertie may have a bit of arthritis in his spine which may be causing him some stiffness. Elderly Rabbits with any spinal stiffness/discomfort can have trouble reaching their bum to eat their cecotrophs. After examination a Vet may feel it to be appropriate to prescribe him a daily dose of a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam to see if that helps. Many of my eldely arthritic Rabbits have responded very well to Metacam to manage their age related arthritis. Some have also received Acupuncture and/or massage and those whose arthritis became more severe went on to have additional analgesic cover too, a drug called Tramadol.

So yes, there certainly are several treatment options available if your Vet feels that arthritis may be an issue. He/she should be able to elicit some information from a hands on examination and from an account of his symptoms as you have described them on here. Xrays are an option and would give confirmation of the presence of arthritis. But personally I would not want to have to risk a GA for such an elderly Rabbit unless absolutely essential xx

Back