• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single Rabbits

Julia25

Alpha Buck
I know that rabbits are best kept in pairs or more.

However, do any of you have single bunnies that are not bonded?

I know many rabbit owners have had single bunnies who have lived long and happy lives (living indoors).
I've seen some bunnies that just won't get along with other bunnies so they live alone and they live happy lives.

I only have the one bunny, he is a house rabbit and he is very happy and healthy. I really want another one though when I can afford another :)

I have a single bun that lives inside with me due to his health problems and he seems even happier than my bonded pair! He loves human affection and even though I've only had him for just over three months he adores me and would cuddle with me and climb on me all day if he could!

Obviously he needs much more attention from me so that he doesn't get lonely and he has more enrichment than my bonded pair so that he doesn't get bored, but I certainly wouldn't say that he is unhappy or anything like that, he is the happiest bunny I've ever met!

I will always say that bunnies are better being in pairs so that they are never on their own, and the best company for a bunny is another bunny, but when it is simply not possible to have them in pairs then they can be very happy, as long as you give them as much attention and enrichment as possible. I personally found that my little man also loves my dogs and even my cats and although I would never leave them unsupervised together, it does provide him other attention besides mine. :)

I have a single bunny that used to be bonded but his partner died a few years ago, since then he's been an indoor bunny and he loves it ! I think as long as you give them lots of extra attention and spend lots of time wiithh them there isnt a problem, some buns actually like being single! :love:

I've had Poppy for a couple of years now, she has always been a single bunny, until very recently although they're not fully bonded yet. She has always been a really happy bunny, really healthy, but I noticed that she was even happier when I stopped working and was at home all day with her. We've just got another bunny and I'm just waiting to get Poppy spayed until I start bonding them again. Both indoor bunnies, both very happy and love their fuss :)

Cupcake is a single bunny and she's very happy and well loved, she gets lots of attention throughout the day whenever a human or a dog goes out into the garden (she'll rub noses through the bars of her hutch with them) and always has fresh food and water and veggie treats now and again

George was a single bunny the whole time I had him as well and never had any issue, had it not been for having the cats and dogs I think he would have made a fabulous free range rabbit as he used to come sit on the sofa with me for cuddles and watch TV and would spend most of the day roaming the garden

I don't but if my elderly bunny Morris lost his bunny wife Rosie I would keep him (indoors)as a single bunny.Being elderly and very difficult to bond(Rosie is very good with him) I think that would be the best option.He would have lots of attention though.

My Boots is a single rabbit. At the time I got him I had a quad outdoors, and I fell in love with him at the BARC open day :love: he was single at the rescue and the original plan was for Angie at BARC to help find him a wife bun, and for him to be outside. He stayed outside for less than a week, spending most of his time indoors with us. As there's someone home a lot he gets lots of attention. I realised that as he was a very cuddly bunny he would be happier indoors. He certainly is! He doesn't like change, it sets him off scanning, and he seems very deaf, so we decided to leave him as he is. I think it very much depends on the rabbit, I think most rabbits would be better off in pairs.

Our Honey is a three-time widow singleton that lives in the house but has an outdoor shed and aviary combo for when she wants to be outside.

When she lost her last partner we just felt like it was going to be a never ending cycle so decided not to take on any more rabbits. The fact that Honey was making herself increasingly difficult to bond meant we felt it was better just to let her be. She's at least 9yo just now but more likely nearer 10 so didn't think that keeping her confined for 6 months or more was really in her best interest (that was how long her last bond took).

I had a single house bunny for a few months, between the death of her friend and her own death. Even though I was with her most of the time, I still felt unhappy about it, given how close the pair had been. Bunnies are just so cuddly together.

bisc has been single since matt passed away. he had health issues himself and it was advised to try and control those before bonding him. to be honest though, he never seemed lonely or bothered being alone, although his health never really became stable again and i'd say this last 6-9 months or so, he does sometimes seem a bit lonely now. still has health issues which are now worse, so in an even worse position to be bonded really. very hard situation that makes me feel very guilty. so we're keeping an open mind with things now and just seeing how we go.

bisc has been single since matt passed away. he had health issues himself and it was advised to try and control those before bonding him. to be honest though, he never seemed lonely or bothered being alone, although his health never really became stable again and i'd say this last 6-9 months or so, he does sometimes seem a bit lonely now. still has health issues which are now worse, so in an even worse position to be bonded really. very hard situation that makes me feel very guilty. so we're keeping an open mind with things now and just seeing how we go.

mabels been single since lost sox, we did nearly adopt one being fostered by a vet nurse but sadly the bunny had been to neglected during early weeks, that he never made it
mabel seems happy enough, like queen of the house but she has plenty to occupy her and I'm here most of the time

Sonic is a single outdoor bun! He's never been bonded, I didn't know about bonding for a long while, and his accommodation isn't good enough for two, but he's happy so it's just stayed like that. I don't think he would like somebun else to be honest, he's very independent and can be a bit stroppy.

I think he does miss having the guinea pig around though. Uno died in Jan, and even though they (obviously) never lived together, they always lived close and played in the garden together. We're thinking of getting some new piggies at the end of April, so hopefully he'll be ok with that! He'll probably hate them... :roll:

My bun Alice is now a single bun since she lost her husbun in September. I would like to get another bun for her but at the moment she is housed indoors and I'm in most of the time. She's free range in the house when I'm around and loves a snuggle on the couch. I do think in most cases bunnies need a bunny friend.

Daphne was a single bunny for around a month (indoor) but I gradually noticed a decline in binkies so we bonded her with Phoebe. She seems much happier now.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Back