• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trapped wind??

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Every so often, maybe once every few months, Charlotte will have a few hours of being in lots of pain, not eating, tummy pressing, breathing heavily....then just snap out of it :? She's just had one of these episodes, which always sends me into a panic, and has literally this minute snapped out of it and snatched a crunchie off me.

I give her a tummy massage, which she just lies down and let's me do ONLY during these episodes. Must be trapped gas right?

She is prone to bladder infections so I always keep a very close eye on her when she's like that and get her to a vet if it goes on for more than a few hours.

Does anyone else have a gassy bun? :shock:

Sounds like trapped wind to me, if it resolves itself fully within that time frame then it is most likely to be wind, have you ever mentioned it to the vet?

Sounds like trapped wind to me, if it resolves itself fully within that time frame then it is most likely to be wind, have you ever mentioned it to the vet?

No I haven't to be honest, I've never thought to mention it. I will next time I go which hopefully won't be too soon!!

No I haven't to be honest, I've never thought to mention it. I will next time I go which hopefully won't be too soon!!
I personally wouldn't worry too much as you say the situation rectifies itself quickly but just keep an eye on the frequency and see if you can spot any triggers i.e certain foods.

Truffle gets this too every few months. I don't know whether it's trapped wind or something else, but we take the same approach - monitor for a few hours and if it doesn't resolve itself get her to the vets. We've never been able to work out what the cause of it is and it usually (not always) resolves itself.

Every so often, maybe once every few months, Charlotte will have a few hours of being in lots of pain, not eating, tummy pressing, breathing heavily....then just snap out of it :? She's just had one of these episodes, which always sends me into a panic, and has literally this minute snapped out of it and snatched a crunchie off me.

I give her a tummy massage, which she just lies down and let's me do ONLY during these episodes. Must be trapped gas right?

She is prone to bladder infections so I always keep a very close eye on her when she's like that and get her to a vet if it goes on for more than a few hours.

Does anyone else have a gassy bun? :shock:

I have certainly had gassy buns in the past, and they've responded well to Infacol and tummy rubs. Some buns just need help on a regular basis, sometimes taking regular metaclopromide.

Are her teeth OK?

I find a bunny in pain with gas will usually let you do the tummy massage at that time, but not at other times, just as you say with Charlotte.

Whilst a gassy tummy could be the issue, this usually being associated with some degree of gut motility slow down, given Charlotte's history of UTIs I would not rule out Interstitial Cystitis

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/interstitial-cystitis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Thanks Jane, that's very interesting and a definite possibility.

I'm at work at the moment so sent the ex around to check on her and she seems fine still. I'll keep an eye on her over night and decide in the morning whether or not to take her to the vets. She is going to go through a bonding process in 3 weeks and I want her fighting fit for it so might take her for a check up anyway.

Thanks everyone, it's good to know some of you have had similar experiences :wave:

Yes, Ben has done exactly this many times before. I always think of it as a mini stasis episode. Thankfully he's not had any episodes in awhile though (gosh I feel scared just saying that! *knock on wood* )

I'm glad to hear someone else having a bun with this, it's very strange! I've thought that Ben is sensitive and easily gets gassy if he doesn't eat enough hay. He's not always been the best hay eater and if the hay wasn't just so he wouldn't eat right. He's been a good eater in the last few months or so, so it does seem like that's the case, but obviously I can't be sure.

Whatever the case is I'm very thankful that he snaps out of it so fast and doesn't need meds every time like a lot of buns do when they get gassy/stasis. He's blind, stresses easily with unfamiliar things/sounds (which he's done even before he went blind) and absolutely hates everything about the vets and being given meds!

this was what bisc used to get regularly, a gassy bloat. he would have infacol, metaclopramide and very gently tummy rubs and would perk up fairly quickly and then be back to normal a few days later. he was already on metacam so that probably helped aswell.

he did at one stage have a uti aswell and this was the cause so definitely think you're right to keep an eye on that. x

Rupesy gets this, best advice is get them moving - we get Rupert up and down the stairs (raising the bum above head so the gas can go up helps - was the best advice we were given), and generally get him moving around (which is easy to do if you catch it early but feels awful doing it when they're in a lot of pain, but have to tell yourself its for their own good and worth it.

Last time we caught it really early for Rupes and brought him straight into house, up the stairs and an hour later he was absolutely fine again. The main factor was we noticed as it just started tho.

Thankyou everyone, I'm pleased to report that Charlotte is back to her usual bright sweet self today :D

William: Yes with Charlotte it's usually something she has eaten. She has a very sensitive stomach and there's very few veggies I can give her. I realised that even Dandelions are a trigger so she can't have those anymore, and grass is kept to a minimum. Poor girl :( I'm pretty sure yesterday's episode was linked to her stealing some of my banana yesterday morning :roll:

Thankyou everyone, I'm pleased to report that Charlotte is back to her usual bright sweet self today :D

William: Yes with Charlotte it's usually something she has eaten. She has a very sensitive stomach and there's very few veggies I can give her. I realised that even Dandelions are a trigger so she can't have those anymore, and grass is kept to a minimum. Poor girl :( I'm pretty sure yesterday's episode was linked to her stealing some of my banana yesterday morning :roll:

this is exactly the same as Rupert - spring greens, swede, apple, dandelion (and actually bags of dried herbs) are all triggers. We stick to his safe list: Meadow hay, Broccoli, kale, burgess excel light, pineapple and papaya melange and fenugreek crunchy. Small amounts of grass, no longer than 20 mins at a time.

What hay do you use? I was using ings, and that caused no end of tummy issues for him :(

this is exactly the same as Rupert - spring greens, swede, apple, dandelion (and actually bags of dried herbs) are all triggers. We stick to his safe list: Meadow hay, Broccoli, kale, burgess excel light, pineapple and papaya melange and fenugreek crunchy. Small amounts of grass, no longer than 20 mins at a time.

What hay do you use? I was using ings, and that caused no end of tummy issues for him :(

Yes same for the dried stuff with Charlotte aswell :(

I live in France and use Hamiform, not sure whether or not they have that in the UK? It's great because you can buy varieties with added things in them so it's nice for her as adds variety to her restricted diet. I buy it plain, with added mint, added aromatic plants and clover, and mix them up. There's one with Dandelion in aswell but she can't have that one.

:thumb:

I think infracol is great and normally works for Doughnut in about 30 minutes, definitely worth keeping some handy

My 2 suffer from this too and it's horrible when you see them just sitting listless. First few times we went straight to vet and got medicine (I forget it's name and bottle out in rabbit shed) to syringe into their mouth. One day when I went out and Hoppity was just sitting in a corner ignoring me and her food I syringed some into their water bowl and kept it right beside her. Shortly after having a drink she was looking better and moving around. Since then I've done it with both of them and always worked. Obviously I'd always take to vet if it lasted longer. Sometimes I think it's food related but happened to Hector just last week and he'd been fine when I took him out his fenugreek crunchie supper treat but ill in the morning and only edible thing he had overnight was hay. He perked up within minutes of drinking water and medicine.
Is the infacol people mention on here the medicine for children?

Reading about everyone else's experiences is really reassuring. Peter has this today - he's been tummy pressing, wriggling to try and get comfy, not interested in food. The last time it happened we rushed him to the vets and he was kept in overnight, but as soon as he'd had some fluids he was OK. So today we've given him Infacol and some water (had to syringe it as he was not interested in drinking!) and going to keep an eye on him for the next few hours. I really hope it passes of its own accord. Why is it always out of hours?!

Infacol is medicine for babies, my OH just got it off the shelf from Boots :)

Sorry I haven't replied, yes as above it's for babies who get colic and can buy it from a pharmacy.

You can give 1ml every hour as it doesn't get into their blood stream.

Did the infracol help KatyS?

Back