• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Walks

TinkerBelle

Young Bun
Hi everyone, i was wondering if any one takes their bunnies for walkies? I live in a flat so she hasnt been out before but just ordered her a lead and harness. Fully aware my neighbours will think im a lunatic :)! Would be good to know of any ither bunnies that get taken for walks? Xx

Rabbits prefer to stay in their own territory and would most likely be frightened if taken out on the street where dogs could approach them. I know of someone who took her rabbit for a w
walk and 2 dogs attacked it. There was nothing the lady could do to stop them and of course the dogs killed the rabbit. :cry:

Hi everyone, i was wondering if any one takes their bunnies for walkies? I live in a flat so she hasnt been out before but just ordered her a lead and harness. Fully aware my neighbours will think im a lunatic :)! Would be good to know of any ither bunnies that get taken for walks? Xx

Whether or not a rabbit likes going for a walk on a harness is very much down to the individual rabbit. I have a rabbit who is happy on a harness, but I have been criticised heavily for allowing it :lol:

Try it in your flat first, and if you decide to go outdoors, make sure it's quiet where there are no other animals around. You could also use the stairs up to the flat (if you have any) as rabbits can often like running up and down stairs.

However, it's only very few rabbits who would be happy doing this, so be very careful if you do try it :)

I had a harness for mine and they both hated it. But having said that, my sister's friend had a rabbit who genuinely loved to go out for walks. He was super dopey and not scared of anything. I guess it's up to you if you wanna try it with your bunny, but if she seems freaked out by it in any way I'd advice you not to do so again. If they panic and try to run with it on they could really hurt themselves :(

Before I knew better, I tried a harness on a rabbit in the garden years ago. She hated it so I took it off after a few seconds. I have never tried one on any of my rabbits since. I wouldn't personally take a rabbit for a walk, I imagine they would find it very stressful.

Ok thanks everyone. Roxxy is quite brave but then i suppose she is in her own territory. Maybe will try the stairs and balcony see how she gets on. If she doesnt like it wont do it again. X

Petra has a pink harness which she absolutely detests. She will however where her purple one (maybe pink is more my fave than hers!) and we've walked in the garden, to the car and to the neighbours before. I think it's more down to the bunny's personality though. Personally I wouldn't take her on a walk walk because I'd be terrified of anything hurting her. She's not scared of anything and she's attacked the neighbours dog and my friend's cat but I'd be terrified she'd pick on the wrong animal!! xx

I think I can say with some confidence that if I ever attempted to put a harness on either of my two I would shortly be making a trip to A&E to have it surgically removed from my posterior :shock:

If you do try it, just be very careful and ready to intervene and get a hold of your bun quickly if she panics. And I agree, try it inside first to get a feel for how she will react with it on. Many buns don't like it and start backing up to find a way out of it or may panic and bolt.

You only want to use an h style harness, never just a collar, and a stretchy lead is best as they have some give if the bun takes off.

And just be aware that there is always the possibility of injury occurring. That said, years ago I had a rabbit that was just fine having a harness and lead on, and would walk out to feed my horse with me. But he was a rare bun. None of my rabbits now would tolerate it.

Also know that it's not really you taking your bun for a walk, but your bun taking you. Where your bun hops, you follow. A better alternative to walking on a lead, is if you have somewhere you can set up a play pen and just set that up for your bun to play in with you there to monitor.

I've never tried a harness but of our two house rabbits, one loves bouncing up and down the stairs. It's basically his main exercise! The other was very unsure about stairs and recently worked out how to go up but not how to get down again! So, as others have said, it totally depends on the individual rabbit. You know your bunny and can probably judge whether she's enjoying it or not :)

Harness is supposed to arrive today so will see how she gets on. Taking on everyone's advice i have decided i wont take her outside its just too risky i will just try it on balcony and stairs to the flat. Thanks for everyones help and tips 😋 Xx

Back