• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting, Odd Poops and Grumpiness?? Help!

Aesop is mid moult at the moment and he seems to be very grumpy at the moment, his poops are also quite odd, they went from very tiny and hard and then started to go back to normal and then I found one of these in his litter box (See image below).

He doesn't seem to be drinking as much as usual and just tries to bite and knock away his bottle if I try and tempt him. I gave him a dish full of water but he doesn't seem particularly interested. He's still eating normally I think, although he's off his usual favourites like mint...

Just a bit worried and would like some advice, should I be worried :S
12888501_1126247420749069_2252157933190662947_o.jpg

I don't think the strings of poos are anything to worry about as bunnies generally do pass these now and again. If anything it is a good sign as it shows that the fur he is ingesting is going straight through him rather than causing a blockage. Have you been brushing him? It is quite important to brush bunnies or remove the fur another way (for example gently pulling loose fur free) as it prevents too much fur from being ingested, which could cause a blockage. It is particularly important to do this if your bunny has long hair.

The tiny poos and being 'off' his usually favourite food does however sound slightly concerning to me. My bunny Storm suffers from repeated GI stasis episodes and this is usually what happens before he goes into a full on episode. For this reason I personally would take him to the vets just to be on the safe side as it is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to our furry friends. It could be that he is dehydrated as this causes the digestive system to slow done, resulting in possible stasis and symptoms that you are seeing. What vegetables have you been feeding him though? I ask because he could be getting the majority of his water from these if they have quite a high water content.

I hope that helps! Try not to worry too much though as if it is early signs of stasis, then it sounds like you have spotted it quickly enough for it to be easily solved. :)

I second that a vet visit might be in order just to be on the safe side.Bunnies don't tend to drink loads as they get lots of moisture from their veg but I think that because his poos have been quite variable and hes abit grumpy (can be a sign of discomfort) a vet check is a good idea.

Hope hes back to his usual self very soon.x

Hmmm, thanks for the feedback, everything seems to have gone back to normal now. Yes I do groom him everyday, the bit that is most moulting is around his tail so it's quite difficult to get to however I'm persevering. I think it was possibly dehydration, I went away for a few days and my mother was left in charge and I think she was feeding him a few too many sweeties. He's now back on fresh grass and dark leafy greens which seem to have done the trick. I shall keep a close eye on him and if anything seems to be off I'll take him along to the vets for a bit of a check-up.

Hmmm, thanks for the feedback, everything seems to have gone back to normal now. Yes I do groom him everyday, the bit that is most moulting is around his tail so it's quite difficult to get to however I'm persevering. I think it was possibly dehydration, I went away for a few days and my mother was left in charge and I think she was feeding him a few too many sweeties. He's now back on fresh grass and dark leafy greens which seem to have done the trick. I shall keep a close eye on him and if anything seems to be off I'll take him along to the vets for a bit of a check-up.
My bunnies are moulting most around their tails too and one of them in particular has got a cute-but-scruffy look going on [emoji38] My mum also does things like this but luckily she will only give one too many so it's not too bad. I'm glad things seem to be looking better for him again now though. [emoji4]

Back