• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tearing my hair out: Now we need vibes for Harley

lauraj27

Warren Scout
So Sparky had a stasis episode over the weekend he's now back to diving into his food bowl and has done lots of poops, some are still small but he's on the right track.

Went to feed Harley. No interest in nuggets, kale or hay.

On checking his litter tray it appears there are thick string of pearls droppings so my suspicion is that he is trying to push something through.

We have given him metacam and metroclopimide (we know the doses off by heart as he used to have quite a few stasis episodes previously).

Likely going to have to syringe him some water to help keep the gut hydrated and help him push through the stuff.

After a very intense stressful weekend I was looking forward to a nice, quiet evening....

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds like you know what you're dealing with though. I hope Harley starts to feel better soon and you can have some more relaxing time!

Oh no I am sorry to hear about Harley :( it does seem to happen one thing after another with mine too, it's very stressful! I hope Harley is feeling a lot better already, the Metacam will make a big difference. The amount of times I wish I had some in the house when a stasis episode hits late at night is unreal! Sending lots of vibes Harley's way xxx

So Sparky had a stasis episode over the weekend he's now back to diving into his food bowl and has done lots of poops, some are still small but he's on the right track.

Went to feed Harley. No interest in nuggets, kale or hay.

On checking his litter tray it appears there are thick string of pearls droppings so my suspicion is that he is trying to push something through.

We have given him metacam and metroclopimide (we know the doses off by heart as he used to have quite a few stasis episodes previously).

Likely going to have to syringe him some water to help keep the gut hydrated and help him push through the stuff.

After a very intense stressful weekend I was looking forward to a nice, quiet evening....

Sending vibes for Harley.

I really hope you can pull him through this! String of pearls is good (I hope) as it's getting the hair through his system.

Wishing you a peaceful and uneventful night x

You are doing everything I did with my stasis bunny. Sometimes syringe feeding some critical feed helps to keep the system moving until the episode passes. Also, you may ask your vet to have a technician show you how to give Harley sub Q fluids to keep him hydrated. For some bunnies it is easier than syringing fluids when they are already reluctant to eat.
Please keep us updated on your bunny's condition.

Thank you everyone.

At about 10:30pm he wasn't really showing signs of much improvement so we gave him some zantac, infacol and some critical care & water. We made sure the critical care was as running/gloopy as possible as if was blocked hair we didn't want to add to the blockage and if it was runny then the liquid would help hydrate his gut. We also thought it might get his tummy muscles started and help push stuff through.

Checked him at 02:45am he had eaten all of his nuggets, kale, the little bit of carrot we gave him to tempt him and went mad for the hay.

There were also droppings in the litter tray some of which were heavily lined with fur.

He's gone mad this morning for even more hay so OH is going to keep an eye on him and if necessary dose him up again & take him to the vet but he seems to be on the right track.

I however, have not slept properly since Saturday night. Work today is going to fun.

Sorry for the late reply - touch wood both Sparky and Harley dived in their food bowls and have been munching away on hay.

Hopefully this will continue........

Thank you everyone.

At about 10:30pm he wasn't really showing signs of much improvement so we gave him some zantac, infacol and some critical care & water. We made sure the critical care was as running/gloopy as possible as if was blocked hair we didn't want to add to the blockage and if it was runny then the liquid would help hydrate his gut. We also thought it might get his tummy muscles started and help push stuff through.

Checked him at 02:45am he had eaten all of his nuggets, kale, the little bit of carrot we gave him to tempt him and went mad for the hay.

There were also droppings in the litter tray some of which were heavily lined with fur.

He's gone mad this morning for even more hay so OH is going to keep an eye on him and if necessary dose him up again & take him to the vet but he seems to be on the right track.

I however, have not slept properly since Saturday night. Work today is going to fun.

I am so glad Harley is doing so much better. When I had a stasis bunny, I would continue a reduced level of the extra care for a few days-especially the extra hydration. Of course, Harley eating so much of his hay will certainly keep his system moving along any remaining fur. Your prompt action can be credited with his wonderful recovery.

You must be exhausted so I hope you will get some good sleep now that he is doing so well.

Back