• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed please

Hi
Sorry for all the questions any advice will be appreciated.

I have a male netherland dwarf who will be 1 year old in april.

I am looking to get 2 more rabbits possibly female they will all be in seperate hutches but i was thinking about trying to possibly bond them when spay and neutered.
I have been told good and bad about this some people have said if it works they will live happily together as long as they have plenty of space and it is 1 male and females not 2 males as they will fight and others have said one will be dominant and bully and bite the others so im not to sure what is best.
also is it possible to put the 2 females together from a young age not spay will they live happy togther or do they need to be spay.
Also i was told if they are in separet hutches and there are male and females it might make them change there temprament because of all the hormones so is it better to get 2 more males?
Even if i decide not to try to bond them is there any health issues with spay and neutering.

Many Thanks Emma

Hi Emma

It's really hard to say whether or not 1 male & 2 females will work or any combination for that matter. Rabbits can be very picky about their friends.

Ideally the first thing to do would be to neuter your male, the longer his hormones have to settle down the better. If you start bringing females home now he may be able to smell them which could frustrate him.

Have you considered adopting a rabbit from a rescue? There are many unwanted rabbits needing homes & they will usually offer to bond your rabbit with another so you don't have to deal with all the stress of it at home. Not only that but they generally come vaccinated & neutered.

I am sure your boy would love a female friend, once he is neutered. I have many happy couples as a testimony. All rabbits are better neutered, for health reasons. If you go ahead and acquire 2 more rabbits they most likely will not get along if not neutered and properly bonded. Even then they may not get along.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.
I had thought about adopting but i was after a sertain breed and colour and had been looking on some bunny rescue sites near me. I think i will get my male neutered to settle him down and when i get the other 2 femals get them spay later in the year as it dose get costly and then think about in the future trying to bond them and if it works great but if not then thats fine.

My advice would be to get your male neutered and then get just one female, have her spayed, and then bond with him. Most rabbits are happier as part of a bonded, loving couple. Watching them snuggle up together is special!

Back