• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H petition - sell responsibly or not at all!

Yes, signed.

But in all honesty, it's not just Pets at Home, it's ALL pet shops. No pet shop should sell any animal other than fish, in my opinion.

When we bought our rabbits, from a pet shop (not Pets at Home) she didn't offer us any advice whatsoever on husbandry, cost, nothing. Luckily we'd done our research so weren't going in with our eyes shut, but have still had a shock really given Thumper has had so many stasis episodes. A lesser person would have had her put down a long time ago, I'm sure.

When we got Skittle, Niamh's hamster (from Pets at Home) we weren't offered much in the way of advice for him either. Not that there is much for a hamster, to be fair, but they didn't even point out that they don't live long, given that Niamh was only 10 when we got him and we emphasised he was for her.

So it's not just P@H, it's all pet shops really.

Last edited:
Yes, signed.

But in all honesty, it's not just Pets at Home, it's ALL pet shops. No pet shop should sell any animal other than fish, in my opinion.

When we bought our rabbits, from a pet shop (not Pets at Home) she didn't offer us any advice whatsoever on husbandry, cost, nothing. Luckily we'd done our research so weren't going in with our eyes shut, but have still had a shock really given Thumper has had so many stasis episodes. A lesser person would have had her put down a long time ago, I'm sure.

When we got Skittle, Niamh's hamster (from Pets at Home) we weren't offered much in the way of advice for him either. Not that there is much for a hamster, to be fair, but they didn't even point out that they don't live long, given that Niamh was only 10 when we got him and we emphasised he was for her.

Agreed! Got Bo, a bridge bunny, from Focus DIY store when I was 6 for my 4yr old sisters birthday. We were the same, fed him on museli, shut him in the hutch at night (he had free range of the garden during the day) and we kept him alone. Kinda sad looking back. He was friendly and he lived until 11yrs. Luckily I have very caring parents who happily paid when he needed pain killers for arthritis and then when he became ill when he was old. He was really part of the family, but no doubt his littermates did not have that luxury.
They probably don't give out much advice because they probably don't know themselves how to appropriately look after these pets. Pet shops are in it for the sales.

Signed it would be great if all pet shops in UK however stopped selling rabbits follow the example set in part of USA they banned the sale of rabbits in pet shops

Yes, signed.

If you're thinking of the animal's well-being and the horrible advice that most pet shops give out, then fish are the last animal that they should be selling. Fish require a LOT more research than people think.

Yes, signed.

What have you got against fish?:shock:

Back