• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?

Delta

Warren Scout
I've had Delta for nearly 4 years and have so far had her vaccinations done every year.
She's due them again in May but I am questioning whether it's worth it.
Every year she gets a huge abcess from the injection and ends up on antibiotics with the threat of surgery.
Obviously I know that myxo is a death sentence for any bun but as an indoor rabbit who visits the garden is she in much danger?
I just hate seeing her feeling so ill after

I've had Delta for nearly 4 years and have so far had her vaccinations done every year.
She's due them again in May but I am questioning whether it's worth it.
Every year she gets a huge abcess from the injection and ends up on antibiotics with the threat of surgery.
Obviously I know that myxo is a death sentence for any bun but as an indoor rabbit who visits the garden is she in much danger?
I just hate seeing her feeling so ill after

I think it's whether you feel it is worth it.
Indoor rabbits can contract both myxi and VHD. Myxi is spread by insects and VHD by insects and fomites e.g on your shoes.
Maybe contact your vet and see what they say?

Could you get her titre tested to see if she has immunity? It's what I do with my dogs. I don't know if there have been any studies done on rabbits to see how long immunity lasts but if they are anything like dogs, it's possibly lifelong. After all, wildies can become immune so I see no reason why our pets wouldn't too. The only reason I have mine vaccinated is because I have to board them - otherwise I'd titre test.

Thank you for your replies.
Yes I will speak to my vet about it although need to find one first...
I just worry that either way I'm doing the wrong thing. If I vaccinate and she gets an abcess she could need surgery. If I don't vaccinate she could end up with VHD or myxo

Could you get her titre tested to see if she has immunity? It's what I do with my dogs. I don't know if there have been any studies done on rabbits to see how long immunity lasts but if they are anything like dogs, it's possibly lifelong. After all, wildies can become immune so I see no reason why our pets wouldn't too. The only reason I have mine vaccinated is because I have to board them - otherwise I'd titre test.

I agree with this :D

I know I'll get slatted for it, but if I were in your shoes it's probably what I would do!

Your vet should be able to achieve this. The vaccine has only been tested for efficacy for 13 months, and it's quite possible your rabbit has enough immunity.

Good luck xx

I would question first why she gets an abscess every year - I have 34 rabbits at present and over the years have had as many again (now sadly gone) and I have never had any get an abscess from their vaccine either in the days when it was a single vaccine for each (myxi and VHD1) or now when it is combined.

I a not sure there is a test to see if she is still immune to VHD, and I do not think wildies do become immune to it. Myxi is slightly different but again I personally would not leave a rabbit unprotected - and anyway it is a combined jab now.

As an indoor bun that visits a garden (or even if she didnt) she is still just as likely to get either disease.

Which brand jabs has she been getting?

Scamp reacted badly to the old VHD but is fine with the new combo.

I've heard that wiping the needle after drawing up the vacc can also help prevent skin reactions.

You could also discuss with your vet whether giving antibiotics from the same date would effect the vaccination, and if not give a course to try and prevent the problem.

Myxo is spread by flying insects and fleas so can get inside, VHD can be carried on shoes - I imagine a house rabbit has a slightly lower myxi risk and slightly higher VHD. You can lower the risk in other ways eg. usuing fly screens, fly papers, flea treating other pets and not wearing outdoor shoes in the house but it's lowering the risk rather than removing it.

It's a tough one!

Yeh it is tough.
I have no idea why she gets the abcesses. The first year she had the single injections and the last 2 years she's had the combined. I've been to different vets so I can't say it's the vets fault. Maybe she's just prone to abcesses?
I know the sensible portion is just to get the vaccines but I hate to think of her feeling rubbish because of it.
Thanks all for your advice though x

Back