• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cuprinol shades over old wood preserve?

beckie20

Mama Doe
My hutches are starting to look like they need a bit of a revamp this year and I've seen lots of pretty housing on here so naturally now have hutch-envy and am considering using the Cuprinol shades to create something pretty instead of the traditional wood look ive always gone for.

Has anyone used the Cuprinol shades over old wood preserve and did it cover it properly? Was it ok first time or did it take a couple of coats?

My hutches are currently somewhere in the middle of the colour range for the traditional woods, so not too dark, but not light either - would I just need to do a bit of sanding first? Or am I restricted to the darker colours?

I think the only saving grace to make this a bit easier is that they haven't been done in a few years - the fact that they aren't in direct sunlight for long periods of time and my hutch covers seem to have done a fab job in protecting them from the elements!

I tried the Wilko's equivalent one over a standard wood preserver (shed / fence type) which had been sanded right down but was still visible. It all peeled off over the first winter - it was big rubbery flakes that just rolled up and blew off in the wind. The same tin was used to redo a friend's bench and was fine. I suspect that it may not go over some types of previous paint - it did say on the tin to use it on unpainted wood.

Oh, I don't like the sound of that :shock:

May have to scrap the idea then - I don't think I can justify investing in new hutches just so that I can make them pretty when the hutches themselves are perfectly fine :lol:

I would try it and see. I used it on a previously treated garden bench and it was fine. I also used it on the matching chairs, no probs. I then painted the matching table. It all came off!!!

Going to paint the table again this year when its had time to really dry out.

I had trouble re-coating my run, which had previously been painted in Cuprinol but a tip I read on line was to wipe it over with methylated spirits and then re-paint it - just about to see if it works.

It probably depends what the original one was, I imagine anything water based will be fine but it was oil/varnish then it might stop the cuprinol sticking. Sanding it first should help. Trying to put white over dark brown you'd probably need more coats and increase the risk of it flaking so I'd go for darker shades. You can get tester pots for about £1.50 so you could try it on the back out of sight and see how well it worked :)

I've actually just done this today, I'm not sure what was used previously as it's a foster hutch on loan from a rescue & I've only just been given it but thought I'd refresh the paint while I don't have a foster bunny. It's taken ok - could maybe do with another coat but it went better than expected. Mine wasn't a normal wood coloured preserve before, I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

I had trouble re-coating my run, which had previously been painted in Cuprinol but a tip I read on line was to wipe it over with methylated spirits and then re-paint it - just about to see if it works.

Did it work? Some of ours needs a recoat and don't want to have sand a whole shed to just touch up a few panels! :wave:

It did Leigh �� I had put a first coat on the bunny house at the end of last year and the waterproofing in the Cuprinol just means some of the paint sits on top of the first coat and then 'pools' without going on properly. It's fine if you do a second coat within a couple of days but any longer and it doesn't take properly. I got a smallish bottle of meths from B&Q and applied with a cloth then wiped it over with a damp clean cloth. You could lightly sand the woodwork if it still won't take, but I didn't really want to have to do that again.

Ooooh that's great to know, thanks Piggiesgalore so much! Did you apply the meths 'neat' or water it down at all? We have a few rtired panels on our own human shed which need replacing but the paint around the door needs doing as well and this trick will be perfect for that!

Back