• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone in the UK use Myristol?

Kipper

Mama Doe
Munch my old bun is 12.5 years & has developed a stiffness in his back leg. I found a product online for buns called Myristol & other buns seem to be benefitting from using it. Has or does anyone on here use it for their buns or are there similar products? I can only seem to find it for sale in America but would rather order from a British company than import

Munch my old bun is 12.5 years & has developed a stiffness in his back leg. I found a product online for buns called Myristol & other buns seem to be benefitting from using it. Has or does anyone on here use it for their buns or are there similar products? I can only seem to find it for sale in America but would rather order from a British company than import

I haven't, but some-where in my befuddled brain I think I can recall that Liz (HugosThere) may have used it. You could try PMing her, although I dont know if she comes on here any more. I believe she has a FB page for 'Rainbow Rabbits', I dont do FB but if you do I assume you could contact her via there too.

Yes I've used it. It's not available in the UK so had to be imported from the US.

Whether it helped I can't tell you as it was used along side metacam, acupuncture and the oxbow supplement.

But I did have real trouble getting the rabbits to eat it. They really didn't like the taste so I never bought any more after the first batch.

Yes I've used it. It's not available in the UK so had to be imported from the US.

Whether it helped I can't tell you as it was used along side metacam, acupuncture and the oxbow supplement.

But I did have real trouble getting the rabbits to eat it. They really didn't like the taste so I never bought any more after the first batch.

Blimey, so my brain does still work a bit then !!

Haha

And no I haven't been on the forum for a while but as it was Sunday morning had a quick log in coincidentally just as this was posted

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Lol so I was lucky then. Munch is on metacam also but I was hoping that the Myristol would mean he could come off it. What about you Jane, would you consider using this product for Endeavour?

I'm not sure it can be a replacement for metacam. Also some people don't like it as it contains animal derivatives.

If you want to reduce metacam then I can't recommend acupuncture enough :)

I have used several treatments alongside metacam for pain and stiffness in rabbits. Glucosamine being one of them -an ingredient in Myristol.

It may well be of some benefit to rabbits. However, I personally wouldn't feed rabbits shellfish when there are viable alternatives ...

Lol so I was lucky then. Munch is on metacam also but I was hoping that the Myristol would mean he could come off it. What about you Jane, would you consider using this product for Endeavour?

I think I would prefer to use a Vegetarian Glucosamine supplement. There is some doubt as to whether a Vegan/Vegetarian Glucosamine has any therapeutic effects at all though !

I would only ever give any supplement to my Rabbits after discussing it with my Vet first.

I'm not sure it can be a replacement for metacam. Also some people don't like it as it contains animal derivatives.

If you want to reduce metacam then I can't recommend acupuncture enough :)

Yes I can certainly recommend acupuncture!

The glucosamine without animal derivatives is very effective. I've used it on rabbits with good effect. But it's all up to your own personal view. Vets have limited resources when it comes to alleviating physical symptoms.

Good luck xx

They are made for horses rather rabbits although not sure they eat beef either!

They had good reviews so thought I would give them a go but given that they wouldn't eat them without a whole lot of persuasion and there are now oxbow supplements specifically for rabbits I wouldn't touch them again.

They are made for horses rather rabbits although not sure they eat beef either!

They had good reviews so thought I would give them a go but given that they wouldn't eat them without a whole lot of persuasion and there are now oxbow supplements specifically for rabbits I wouldn't touch them again.

Myristol is for rabbits. With shellfish!

I believe the Oxbow supplements also contain shellfish. At least there are alternatives though :)

Myristol is for rabbits. With shellfish!

I believe the Oxbow supplements also contain shellfish. At least there are alternatives though :)

I'm pretty sure it was originally made for horses and the ingredients are the same for rabbits just in a smaller dose.

The cetyl myristoleate (CM) in Myristol derives from beef tallow. This tallow source of CM provides 40% active ingredients vs. the 15% active ingredients for plant source CM. This allows Myristol to contain a much higher level of active CM ingredients per unit of raw material than can be derived from plant source products. The hydrolyzed collagen in Myristol is derived from porcine skin, which is also used in many human foodstuffs and joint health products.

Last edited:
Well this thread has opened my eyes. :( I have used myristol for my rabbits in the past, but no mention was ever made of it containing animal products. :( I would not use it again as I feel it really gave no benefit and now that I have this new information I wonder if it actually didn't cause harm to my rabbits.

There are probably much better alternatives out there that are easier to acquire with your vet's okay, as has been mentioned here already. :)

I can't find any mention of shellfish in the oxbow ones. It says it's plant based?

Oooh you're absolutely right :thumb:

I remember looking at this product a while ago, and I'm sure what put me off was the shellfish in the glucosamine but I see it's now *all* plant based.

And thanks for posting the ingredients in the Myristol Liz. Worse than I was thinking :(

Back