• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older bun having "accidents" while sleeping?

Spikethebunny

Young Bun
Spike is almost ten years old, and he's always had great litter habits. The last week, however, I've noticed a couple dark stains and stickier poops left behind after he sleeps. The poops in his litter box are the normal, round poops and not at all runny. He's still acting normal. Comes running for his meal, eats lots of hay.

I'm almost thinking the stains and sticky poops are cecotropes, but I still see him eat most of those.

His butt looks clean.

And when he's not sleeping, this doesn't seem to happen. I've only seen these stains after he spends the day sleeping in his log cabin.

Is this an age thing? Do older buns have more accidents when they are asleep? Are we giving him too many greens or pellets? We haven't really changed his diet much, but we can stop giving him lettuce snacks during the day if we have to.

My girl Roo (eight) started doing this last year. I take her for check ups with the vet but they don't think it's anything to worry about at the moment, as long as they are keeping clean and are otherwise active and posturing correctly to go to the toilet.

Spike is almost ten years old, and he's always had great litter habits. The last week, however, I've noticed a couple dark stains and stickier poops left behind after he sleeps. The poops in his litter box are the normal, round poops and not at all runny. He's still acting normal. Comes running for his meal, eats lots of hay.

I'm almost thinking the stains and sticky poops are cecotropes, but I still see him eat most of those.

His butt looks clean.

And when he's not sleeping, this doesn't seem to happen. I've only seen these stains after he spends the day sleeping in his log cabin.

Is this an age thing? Do older buns have more accidents when they are asleep? Are we giving him too many greens or pellets? We haven't really changed his diet much, but we can stop giving him lettuce snacks during the day if we have to.

It would be a good idea to ask your Vet to give Spike a check up. The 'poo issue' is probably nothing to worry too much about, but it is always a good idea to err on the side of caution and seek Veterinary advice regardless of the age of the Bunny :)

His butt looks clean.

It sounds to me as though it's food related. I've seen this sort of things before :thumb:

If you cut down on the snacks (unless he needs them to keep his weight up) then notice how he is.

I wouldn't worry too much, but if you are concerned, take a bit of the offending evidence with you and go to the vet :)

It would be a good idea to ask your Vet to give Spike a check up. The 'poo issue' is probably nothing to worry too much about, but it is always a good idea to err on the side of caution and seek Veterinary advice regardless of the age of the Bunny :)

I agree with Jane that a vet visit is in order. I had bunnies for 13 and 14 years and I never assumed anything was just 'old age' and could not be corrected. It also gave me a lot of comfort even when the vet said something was nothing to worry about.

Back