• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Shows

LindandRay

Young Bun
Hi Everyone

I am thinking of taking my mini lop, Josephine to a rabbit show tomorrow in Taffs Well. However as she isn't rung, she will need to go into the pet classes. I know nothing about rabbit showing and when I look online to find out about pet classes, they are always entered by children. Will I look stupid being an adult taking my rabbit to a show to show in the pet class?

Also, she is almost 5 months and has started to moult. Should I not take her as she has started to moult? I want to go to find out all about it anyway, but wanted to take her to confirm her colour. I was told she is a seal point, but she has no brown on her at all, more of a blue or lilac points! A very helpful person has said she will have a look at her for me to confirm her colour. lol.

I know all about showing dogs, but showing rabbits looks so confusing to me!

Thanks

To be honest, I personally wouldn't show a rabbit. I don't think they're suited to the stress of that environment given that they are a prey species and always alert to danger.

I don't know a lot about it other than that rabbits can get extremely distressed by the whole experience and that it can be detrimental to their health (ie they could get so stressed that they stop eating or injure themselves). Personally I wouldn't do it as the rabbits do not gain anything from it all other than negative feelings but that is just personal preference. I do think it's something you should think about though, but hopefully someone with more information should help you out with more details. :)

Josephine doesn't tend to get stressed with travelling etc. There are only 2 of my 9 rabbits that I would consider showing as they have such laid back personalities. These two are also used to visiting my family with me and running around at their homes. I will however have a good think about it as I don't want to upset them at all.

Josephine doesn't tend to get stressed with travelling etc. There are only 2 of my 9 rabbits that I would consider showing as they have such laid back personalities. These two are also used to visiting my family with me and running around at their homes. I will however have a good think about it as I don't want to upset them at all.
It's more the noisy and busy environment that I would be concerned about than anything, plus I do believe they have to stay in very small areas for the duration of the event, however I could be wrong there. It does help that they are so laid back though as they're not likely to be quite as disturbed by it as a bunny that is upset or stressed easily but I still wouldn't chance it. Good luck if you do go ahead with it though :)

I think pet classes are judged on how clean/cared for the rabbit is and how friendly. Also non standardised colours can be shown in the pet section.

Why don't you go to the show and have a look at what showing rabbits entails, then decide for next time if you want to get involved. Take some good pictures of your rabbit with you and you can ask what colour she is while you are there.

Pet classes for any animal are judged on condition and temperament, not on colour or breed.

Back