• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weird big poop?

carysannie29

Young Bun
My bunny has spent over a month now recovering from a head tilt. She's improving and holding herself up more so that's all good news.
When she was poorly I was syringe feeding her because she wasn't eating anything on her own and she lost lots of weight. In the past couple of weeks she's been eating kale, celery and a few other veggies and herbs so I've just been feeding her whatever she wants really. In the last few days she's been eating some pellets too and the occasional strand of hay.

But this morning I got home from my shift and was in feeding her and cleaning her bum (because after a 12.5 hour night shift what else would I rather do?!) and she was producing some very strange poops. Not round or dry, but not diarrhoea either. Without being too graphic they were a bit similar to human poops, quite big (for her) and smelt a bit bad :S

Is this just because she's been eating nothing really but veggies? I'm stuck at what to do because I need her to start gaining her weight but don't want to upset her tummy too much.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think I would be inclined to feed her with pellets and hay to see how she responds to this for a few days. Then if she starts producing normal poops all well and good but if not, you need to think again. Is she a dental bunny?

I had the same thing happen when mine had had a few dandelions too many. I didn't know which rabbit had done the nasty poop, so I fed them nothing but hay + the occasional pellet for a few days. Pretty soon their poo was back to normal :wave: So yeah, definitely try to get her to eat more hay.

Back