• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blind bunny

murrimint

Warren Scout
Hi all.
I adopted cookie from the rspca as a wifey bun for my recently bereaved pud. The two have bonded really well and follow each other everywhere . However it has come to be obvious that cookie is blind, as white rabbits often are. They live in a converted 12x5 dog kennel but I like to let them out everyday for a run around the garden and just to check on them. However cookie is constantly banging into things, often quite hard and I'm worried she is gonna injure herself. I've bubble wrapped posts and chair legs ( next door must think im crazy )but nothing I can do about walls or doors.
Is there anyone with any advice or shall I just have to keep them in their house always just for her own safety.
Thanks for reading.
Dawn

As long as everything stays in the same place she will eventually adjust to her new environment and her other senses will compensate. However it is wise to go careful in the short term to avoid injury. I used puppy panels to increase space so mine could adjust gradually.

Hi all.
I adopted cookie from the rspca as a wifey bun for my recently bereaved pud. The two have bonded really well and follow each other everywhere . However it has come to be obvious that cookie is blind, as white rabbits often are. They live in a converted 12x5 dog kennel but I like to let them out everyday for a run around the garden and just to check on them. However cookie is constantly banging into things, often quite hard and I'm worried she is gonna injure herself. I've bubble wrapped posts and chair legs ( next door must think im crazy )but nothing I can do about walls or doors.
Is there anyone with any advice or shall I just have to keep them in their house always just for her own safety.
Thanks for reading.
Dawn

I would let her out, if that's what she is used to. She may look like she's banging into things, but in reality they use their whiskers to judge distances. They can look rather like a ball in a pinball machine, going this way and that, but it will enhance her quality of life to be let out into territory she knows.

What a good thing she came to you and has Pud for company!

I don't think white rabbits are 'often blind', though their eyesight can certainly be a bit worse than other breeds. She may be able to sense light and shade, and you may want the R.S.P.C.A. to do a check on her eyes and let you know what they think about them.

Good luck with Cookie. She sounds like a sweetie :love:

Could you just rest against the wall or door strips of foam, just to put down when they are running around

Thank you everyone. It's probably more nerve racking for me because every time she runs I panic. It's true her quality of life is important so I'll just have to dig deep and try not to quiver every time
she's out. I think because I've only had her a short time she's not yet used to the garden and so is still finding her way around I'll cover the door edges with
foam and try my best to keep her safe. Fingers crossed she adapts to her new home 😊

Thank you everyone. It's probably more nerve racking for me because every time she runs I panic. It's true her quality of life is important so I'll just have to dig deep and try not to quiver every time
she's out. I think because I've only had her a short time she's not yet used to the garden and so is still finding her way around I'll cover the door edges with
foam and try my best to keep her safe. Fingers crossed she adapts to her new home 😊

To be fair, I think most things are more nerve wracking with bunnies for us than for them :shock:

I think you're doing brilliantly and in time you will relax a bit more around these things. It just takes a bit of time and experience :D

Back