• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

4 Months Old-Sleeping more frequently

Ashleigh

Alpha Buck
Hi, just a quick one,

I have recently noticed that my beautiful 4 month old bunny Snow Cloud has been sleeping a lot more regulary than usual.
He is still very playful and healthy, loves to run and bounce around when he's out of his cage and he seams completely fine,happy,content.
We brush him three times a day (he is a double maned lionhead so his fur takes a lot of work to maintain), he runs around, he gets cuddles we feed him the recomended diet for Lionhead rabbits.
I'm not overly worried about him, however as soon as I put him back in his cage, he lays down and goes to sleep for a few hours and then still goes to sleep at night time as well, he also sleeps more after he's been out of his cage for a few hours. He didn't used to sleep this much, is it normal?
He's only 4 months so he still has a lot of growing and development left.

Thank you in advance :)

Our little guy (about 9 months) sleeps (dozes is probably a better word!) a lot during the day. Rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk, I believe.
I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon, but I would think as long as he's eating, drinking, weeing and pooing fine then there's nothing to worry about :)

Last edited:
Yeah he is. I didn't think there was anything to worry about but I wanted to double check just in case (I'm really over protective of Snow Cloud). Thank you for replying :)

I'm really over protective of our little guy too :love: He spends most of the day dozing, waking every so often to nibble hay/have a drink. He then does his mad dashes in the evenings :lol:

Hi, just a quick one,

I have recently noticed that my beautiful 4 month old bunny Snow Cloud has been sleeping a lot more regulary than usual.
He is still very playful and healthy, loves to run and bounce around when he's out of his cage and he seams completely fine,happy,content.
We brush him three times a day (he is a double maned lionhead so his fur takes a lot of work to maintain), he runs around, he gets cuddles we feed him the recomended diet for Lionhead rabbits.
I'm not overly worried about him, however as soon as I put him back in his cage, he lays down and goes to sleep for a few hours and then still goes to sleep at night time as well, he also sleeps more after he's been out of his cage for a few hours. He didn't used to sleep this much, is it normal?
He's only 4 months so he still has a lot of growing and development left.

Thank you in advance :)

I hate to say it, but caged rabbits get bored, and when there's nothing else to do/see then they sleep.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, or whether he chooses to sleep when he's out of the cage? My rabbits are never caged up, but I know that when one of them is bored for any reason, they sleep :)

Good point MightyMax, I didn't ask about cage size. Our little guy is in a large pen when we're out and free run of the living room when we're in. He dozes/loafs/flops during the day whether he's in the pen or out of it :)

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but caged rabbits get bored, and when there's nothing else to do/see then they sleep.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, or whether he chooses to sleep when he's out of the cage? My rabbits are never caged up, but I know that when one of them is bored for any reason, they sleep :)
I was also going to mention this but MightyMax beat me too it! Bonded bunnies that are shut up in a cage get bored, so having a single bunny caged up is double the boredom. Obviously no-one wants their little ones to be bored anyway, but I would be careful as bored bunnies can get very frustrated and depressed and that can lead to more serious symptoms (such as not wanting to eat, rattling cage bars and even aggression).

I'm really over protective of our little guy too :love: He spends most of the day dozing, waking every so often to nibble hay/have a drink. He then does his mad dashes in the evenings :lol:

It's nice to know I'm not the only over protective one. Yeah Snow Cloud is let out a few times of day and he always has a mad dash around :lol: but then he gets in his cage and sleeps instantly :L

He's out most of the time but we put him in his cage when there is no one to supervise him (we also have two cats) he sleeps out of his cage too and he never used to sleep this much. I don't know if it's just because his body is still growing and developing which is maing him sleepy?

Good point MightyMax, I didn't ask about cage size. Our little guy is in a large pen when we're out and free run of the living room when we're in. He dozes/loafs/flops during the day whether he's in the pen or out of it :)

Snow Cloud has a massive cage but we let him out most of the time as long as there is someone home to supervise him :)

I was also going to mention this but MightyMax beat me too it! Bonded bunnies that are shut up in a cage get bored, so having a single bunny caged up is double the boredom. Obviously no-one wants their little ones to be bored anyway, but I would be careful as bored bunnies can get very frustrated and depressed and that can lead to more serious symptoms (such as not wanting to eat, rattling cage bars and even aggression).

He's a really happy well looked after bunny, he is not depressed, bored, unhappy and he eats plenty. I've just noticed he's sleeping a lot more that's all -.-

He's a really happy well looked after bunny, he is not depressed, bored, unhappy and he eats plenty. I've just noticed he's sleeping a lot more that's all -.-
Nononoooo, you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying he wasn't looked after, was depressed or anything else like that, I was saying that they can get depressed, not that he is. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is very well looked after! [emoji4] I apologize if my previous response upset you or anything but it wasn't intended to, I actually think you're looking after him excellently as you're being so thorough and are getting concerned by behaviour change. No owner that doesn't look after their bunny (or any animal) would be like that. [emoji4]

Nononoooo, you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying he wasn't looked after, was depressed or anything else like that, I was saying that they can get depressed, not that he is. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is very well looked after! [emoji4] I apologize if my previous response upset you or anything but it wasn't intended to, I actually think you're looking after him excellently as you're being so thorough and are getting concerned by behaviour change. No owner that doesn't look after their bunny (or any animal) would be like that. [emoji4]

I guess when you write something (with no body language or tone of voice) it can come across in a different way than what was intended. I'm sorry if I got defensive or overreacted but I do everything I can for Snow Cloud and I hate feeling judged because he lives in a cage sometimes. I let him out all the time, I clean him out constantly, brush him three times a day, I'm extremly careful about his diet, the cage is only for his safety and for him to sleep. He is very loved and very happy.

Thank you for clearing that up and apologising to me, I really do appreciate it. :)

I do really want another Lionhead but it's just not practical at the moment :( I'm getting married in July and saving up for a morgage. Me and my finacee both agree that we can only look after and afford the current pets until we're more settled in a house and have more time on our hands.

I guess when you write something (with no body language or tone of voice) it can come across in a different way than what was intended. I'm sorry if I got defensive or overreacted but I do everything I can for Snow Cloud and I hate feeling judged because he lives in a cage sometimes. I let him out all the time, I clean him out constantly, brush him three times a day, I'm extremly careful about his diet, the cage is only for his safety and for him to sleep. He is very loved and very happy.

Thank you for clearing that up and apologising to me, I really do appreciate it. :)

I do really want another Lionhead but it's just not practical at the moment :( I'm getting married in July and saving up for a morgage. Me and my finacee both agree that we can only look after and afford the current pets until we're more settled in a house and have more time on our hands.

I understand that, it's quite often difficult to know how someone intended something when it's is typed up rather than spoken. I would probably get defensive if I thought I was being judged about how I look after my animals as well as I too do everything I can for them. As I said I have no doubt that you do everything you can for him and that he is extremely well looked after [emoji4]

As much as you would like to get him a companion it is definitely better not to if you can't afford it as otherwise you wouldn't be able to provide proper vet care if they were ill. My Nethie is also a single bunny and I wish I could get him a friend but like you it's not practical and I can't afford it as I already have two other bunnies. Luckily for me I'm home virtually all day every day though so he gets loads of human company instead.

I'm glad you understand now that I wasn't being rude or judgmental, the last thing I wanted to do was upset anyone haha. [emoji4]

It's nice to know I'm not the only over protective one. Yeah Snow Cloud is let out a few times of day and he always has a mad dash around :lol: but then he gets in his cage and sleeps instantly :L
:love:

Snow Cloud has a massive cage but we let him out most of the time as long as there is someone home to supervise him :)

Sounds very similar to our set up :) Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I don't know about Snow Cloud, but our little guy dozes rather than being fast asleep for long periods of time, if you see what I mean xx

I understand that, it's quite often difficult to know how someone intended something when it's is typed up rather than spoken. I would probably get defensive if I thought I was being judged about how I look after my animals as well as I too do everything I can for them. As I said I have no doubt that you do everything you can for him and that he is extremely well looked after [emoji4]

As much as you would like to get him a companion it is definitely better not to if you can't afford it as otherwise you wouldn't be able to provide proper vet care if they were ill. My Nethie is also a single bunny and I wish I could get him a friend but like you it's not practical and I can't afford it as I already have two other bunnies. Luckily for me I'm home virtually all day every day though so he gets loads of human company instead.

I'm glad you understand now that I wasn't being rude or judgmental, the last thing I wanted to do was upset anyone haha. [emoji4]

It's okay, I know you wasn't being rude or jugdemental :)

It would be lovely to have another lionhead but it just is not possible at the moment, I do 11 hour shifts! I'm actually at work as I type this but hopefully we will get another next year when we have our own house. *fingers crossed*

It's okay, I know you wasn't being rude or jugdemental :)

It would be lovely to have another lionhead but it just is not possible at the moment, I do 11 hour shifts! I'm actually at work as I type this but hopefully we will get another next year when we have our own house. *fingers crossed*
Good luck! [emoji1]

:love:

Sounds very similar to our set up :) Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I don't know about Snow Cloud, but our little guy dozes rather than being fast asleep for long periods of time, if you see what I mean xx

Aww thank you, just over 4 months to go! So excited :love:

Yeah I know what you mean but I think Snow Cloud does properly sleep, he will liy down flat on his belly, use his paws to rest his head and sleep, he's so cute. He looks like a white disney teddybear! :lol: :love:

Back