• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fibre

HMacU2

Warren Scout
Hi I have a 9.5 year old bunny who never seems very interested in hay. I've tried Timothy, orchard grass, oat hay, burgess forage, burgess marigold and dandelion and readigrass.

I was wondering if anyone had tips of getting more fibre into him?

Thanks

My 11 year old bun has periods where he won't eat much hay, he will only eat ings hay from hayforpets which I really recommend trying especially at the moment as it's lovely! But we go out and hand cut grass for him every night which kick starts him into eating his ings :) it's the only thing we've found that works!

Maybe try Fibafirst sticks too?

They are very high in fibre and maybe the bun would prefer them? Its still important to get them eating hay obviously but these might get some vital fibre into a senior bun? x

Have a look at my thread called 'Veg-free diet'. I have been offered tons of really helpful advice regarding a similar situation by other forum members :)

Hi I have a 9.5 year old bunny who never seems very interested in hay. I've tried Timothy, orchard grass, oat hay, burgess forage, burgess marigold and dandelion and readigrass.

I was wondering if anyone had tips of getting more fibre into him?

Thanks

Have you had his teeth checked? Really checked? Vets who cannot do 'conscious dentals' can only see around 60% of what's going on inside a rabbit's mouth without sedation ....

Thanks guys. Teeth have had a thorough check and a dental for tiny spurs - he stops eating at the smallest spur.

He will nibble the fibafirst sticks and I can occasionally trick him into eating more hay by mixing dandelion forage through it.

He does love fresh picked grass and will take to a certain hay for a while before seemingly getting bored, hence the variety offered. For example he's fairly interested in the newest hay I have but waiting to see how long that will last!

I've ordered some of the ings hay so will see how that goes.

If you've got enough grass to do it, you can completely replace hay with grass and he can get all his fibre and tooth wear that way :)

If you've got enough grass to do it, you can completely replace hay with grass and he can get all his fibre and tooth wear that way :)

I agree with this. My three rabbits also like Ings hay and have that, supplemented occasionally with other types. They absolutely love fresh grass though and most days of the year we can cut a bucketful that they have between them each afternoon.

Mine much prefer grass :D

Sometimes it's arduous to cut enough for them to guzzle down, but hey, we have to do it :lol:

We have some good weather so he's been spending hours out grazing during the day :)
Also just caught him with a mouthful of hay so clearly likes to be sneaky about it!

Update: he's just spent the afternoon in the garden and I thought I'd try the ings hay that got delivered. So far he loves it! Not seen him like this with hay in ages - he even binkyed with a mouthful!

Update: he's just spent the afternoon in the garden and I thought I'd try the ings hay that got delivered. So far he loves it! Not seen him like this with hay in ages - he even binkyed with a mouthful!

Just to say I had some more Ings delivered today and it is fantastic! It smells wonderful and is so green :love:

Back