• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long does it take a doe to recover after spay?

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi, Darcy my 6 month old continental giant was spayed last Tuesday and still isn't eating very many pellets. She is eating veg and hay but isn't interested in the pellets. She has been back to the vets 3 times since her spay and at the last one yesterday they said her gut was still a bit quiet so they gave me more metaclopramide. She has lost 100g in a week and she is now 5.4kg. We are going back to the vet again on Friday so they can check her again. She is still peeing and pooing although they are smaller than normal.

Is this normal? Does anyone have any advice? I don't know what else I can do to help her. Her wound from her spay is clean and healing well and generally she seems happy enough.

Thanks,
Laura

Hi, Darcy my 6 month old continental giant was spayed last Tuesday and still isn't eating very many pellets. She is eating veg and hay but isn't interested in the pellets. She has been back to the vets 3 times since her spay and at the last one yesterday they said her gut was still a bit quiet so they gave me more metaclopramide. She has lost 100g in a week and she is now 5.4kg. We are going back to the vet again on Friday so they can check her again. She is still peeing and pooing although they are smaller than normal.

Is this normal? Does anyone have any advice? I don't know what else I can do to help her. Her wound from her spay is clean and healing well and generally she seems happy enough.

Thanks,
Laura

Flo had her spay around a year ago now, and she got gut stasis after which must have lasted 4-5 days. Rabbits are prone to stasis after anaesthesia, lucky for you she hasn't completely stopped eating/pooing! I would say keep going with the medication, give her lots of yummy foods like parnsip and smelly stuff like basil and parsley too. Monitor her poo, make sure they are getting bigger. If she's still happy I reckon she'll be fine. If she becomes lethargic or depressed I would get to your vets asap.
Her weight loss may have been from the spay?

Good luck Darcy :thumb:

Thanks for replying. Should I give her loads of extra veg to make up for the pellets or should I giver her a normal amount with the hope that she will be hungry enough to go for the pellets?

Tabby Rabbit is a mini-lop. Her spay was seven years ago. It took over a fortnight and lots of vet visits for her to recover. I offered her any very tasty treat I could find. Dandelion leaves did it, at Christmas.

Rabbits are proper divas aren't they! I don't think my stress levels can handle 2 weeks of coming home to find full bowls of pellets! I can almost see her smirking at me as she stuffs her face with all her favourite vegetables

Rosie took about a week maybe 2 to recover, she was eating more or less as normal in 2-3 days. I assume as it would humans can vary from rabbit to rabbit. Just keep offering her her pellets and veg .. maybe tasty treats as well .. anything (within reason)

As long as she is eating hay and some veg I wouldn't worry too much as pellets seem to be ignored after a GA by some bunnies until they are feeling back to normal. Has she been on Metacam after her spay, but she should be feeling better by now. I wouldn't go mad with the veg just try to be sensible. I hope she gets back to normal soon.

Back