• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to set up my hutch

Marie H

New Kit
My 10 year old daughter will be collecting her first bunny (an 8 week old male mini lop) at the weekend. We have purchased a Chartwell Hutch with cover and need advice on how best to set it up. Its 5 x 4 x 2, 2 story with ramp. Do we need straw/hay on both levels as well as the enclosed sleeping area.
5ft-Chart-D-3-743x743.jpg

I'm afraid 5 X 4 X 2 is slightly too small for a rabbit hutch on its own , even though it's two levels they're supposed to have at least 6ft so they have the space to hop about

Are you attaching a run/aviary to the hutch? I think this is a really good option to increase the space - if you look in the "housing" section of this forum there's loads of great ideas!

My rabbits nth have an enclosed sleeping area they can hide in, and hay is the main part of a rabbits diet so I'd have some in a hay rack off of the floor as well as on the floor

I, personally, don't use straw for my rabbits because I've seen both my girls eat it and although it isn't dangerous, I'd much rather it be hay!

Goodluck with the new rabbit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He will have a separate run (yet to be built by the hubby), but he will be in the house with the family when we're home from work/school. Under strict supervision an all times. I had a dwarf lop a few years ago who was a house rabbit and he eat his way through everything!

The run does really need to be attached so that he can run around in it at all times of day. Also, are you planning on getting a second rabbit once the mini lop has been neutered? (Which I assume you will do) Rabbits always need a rabbit friend if they are going to spend long periods of time on their own, ie if they live outdoors and are left on their own while you are at school/work.

Regarding the amount of hay you use, the more the better! I use hay in the sleeping compartment, both litter trays and a hay rack so I use it for diet, warmth and to top off the litter in the litter tray.

I agree with WillowAndBiscuit about the attached run and also thinking about getting him neutered and a second neutered rabbit when he's a bit older

Also - are you planning on using a litter tray? :wave: some people don't but I always have - I put a few trays down to start with until they chose just one! :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H
My 10 year old daughter will be collecting her first bunny (an 8 week old male mini lop) at the weekend. We have purchased a Chartwell Hutch with cover and need advice on how best to set it up. Its 5 x 4 x 2, 2 story with ramp. Do we need straw/hay on both levels as well as the enclosed sleeping area.
5ft-Chart-D-3-743x743.jpg

Hi, sorry just to agree with the others below about space, but also maybe as he's going to be on his own.. It might be a good idea to get some kind of cuddly toy just so they have something to cuddle up to if it gets colder. Also a tunnel or a little wooden bridge might be good to have in his hutch with him to have some enrichment! But welcome to the forum :wave: xx

Thanks guys for the tips. We will be using litter trays, 1 up and 1 down to start with. I like the idea of a teddy companion, I'll get my daughter to donate one of hers. I've noticed a lot of people using dog beds with hay in - is this better than just hay on the floor.

I use 32 litre underbed storage boxes with newspaper, straw and hay for my four. They live in an 8 x 6 shed with 10 x 6 aviary run permanently attached.

Back