• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else all scratched up?

bunbunboo

New Kit
My bunny scratches me terribly whenever I pick her up to move her in or out of the cage. I just clipped her nails last night and yet she's done it again. My hands are covered in scratches in various stages of healing. The other day a coworker asked me what had happened :oops: She's young, about 4 months so I'm hoping she will calm down a bit as she gets older? I see pictures of people holding and petting their bunnies but she doesn't want anything to do with me. She will tolerate a few head pats if I have vegetables :roll:

Some bunnies like being petted but not all. I would spend as much time as possible with her, if you sit reading a book and let her come to you, she will hopefully get used to you being around.

Food is certainly a good way of bribing them :thumb: I would make sure she knows you aren't going to force her to do anything, once she realises you aren't a threat, and you bring food, hopefully she will become more friendly :thumb:

spaying her may help too, and will reduce the risk of her getting cancer in later life, which is very common in unspayed females.

Rabbits will usually kick out if they are lifted - they are prey animals so being off the ground gives an instinctive reaction to try and get away. They much prefer to have their feet on something solid - so when you pick her up, try immediately holding her against you - so her feet are on your chest and you have a hand on her shoulders or bum. She will feel safer and you will have fewer scratches.

Oh yes, I have scars from rabbit hugging. I'm looking at the biggest one now, and another which is shorter and deeper. Matthew Rabbit, major cuddlebun but with big strong feet and scratchy nails.

My bunny scratches me terribly whenever I pick her up to move her in or out of the cage. I just clipped her nails last night and yet she's done it again. My hands are covered in scratches in various stages of healing. The other day a coworker asked me what had happened :oops: She's young, about 4 months so I'm hoping she will calm down a bit as she gets older? I see pictures of people holding and petting their bunnies but she doesn't want anything to do with me. She will tolerate a few head pats if I have vegetables :roll:

Sorry to hear this. When she is spayed you may find she settles down, although rabbits being prey animals, they hate being lifted off the ground. It's as though an eagle has come to get them!

If you try and pick her up when she is facing you, hold her firmly and immediately put her to your chest for security, it may help. I think a firm and confident grip is important, and if you can get someone to show you this, it may revolutionise the way you pick up bunnies :D

And welcome to the forum :wave:

One of my bunnies doesn't mind being picked up, he's quite placid and seems to love a cuddle, we've had him five weeks. My other bunny, we've had her for over two years and she hates being picked up, it terrifies her, so we just don't bother, I'm more than happy to lie on the floor with her and she's much happier this way. It took her a while to trust us for face rubs, but now she demands them ;) Just keep trying!

My bunnies are the same as MrsCoultas' one loves being picked up and cuddled, but the bigger of the two hates it! He'll kick and struggle until you put him down again... strangely likes the vet picking him up though, so maybe it's just me he doesn't like :p

Hello Tamsin,
just been reading your article. It's so helpful and lovely the way you present the situation from the rabbit's point of view. I've now bookmarked the article to refer to it over the coming weeks (or maybe months?).
although my two very much enjoy being stroked anything more than that makes them nervous. I have started sitting on the floor hand feeding very small amounts of treats and this is going well. Thanks for such helpful advice.

Back