• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pixie has died

Janey

Warren Veteran
My bunny Pixie died yesterday, she was PTS as she had a large mammory tumour that burst. I feel beyond awful, I didn't spot it, I had to make a quick decision re:the PTS on the suggestion of a vet that wasn't my usual one as I am on holiday and my Mum has had to deal with it all. I was advised she was in pain, if she had surgery it was unlikely to be successful & it would be very invasive so I said PTS as that seemed to be the best decision.

I'm now regretting it, even though there is obviously no point as I can't turn back time. It's so horrible not being there, I feel guilty on so so many levels. I trust my Mum, she is a huge animal lover, but I know a lot more than her & wish I'd asked. Ore questions before I gave the go-ahead, I've let Piixie down.

She seemed fine, hopping around and eating as usual, how did I miss it? Apparently they can be very quick growing but still....that's no excuse as a responsible pet owner.

Binky free Pixie, she was a lovely bunny. The only positive is that I gave her a few better years as she was living alone being tormented by dogs in her previous home, she had her last 3.5 years living indoors with Peter & me.

Sorry to hear that, it must have been so hard for you to make that decision when away.
I am 110% sure Pixie had a fantastic life with you after you rescued her, please don't blame yourself xx

Oh I' so sorry to hear about Pixie :cry:

I've a fair amount of experience with tumours, and sadly they can grow very fast. I am sure I wouldn't have spotted it either.

I'm sorry you were not there on hand. It's very hard, but you made absolutely the right decision.

Run free Pixie xxx

I'm so sorry that you have lost Pixie. Please try not to blame yourself, easy words I know. It sounds as though she had a lovely life with you, she was loved, and well cared for, she couldn't have asked for more. Binky free little bun xxx

I'm sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Pixie.
You're blaming yourself - don't. Even if you had been at home, you might not have been able to do things differently. You made a difficult decision under challenging circumstances, for the right reasons. You didn't want Pixie to suffer any more. That was the right thing to do, in my opinion. Be gentle with yourself. x

I'm so sorry you lost Pixie :cry: please don't blame yourself, you did the best you could for her xx

Thank you everyone, it means a lot.

I'm trying to think of the positives but I feel I could have done more in so many respects. I should have spent more time with her etc. she was fed, watered, cleaned but due to my lifestyle and work I don't tend to spend time with my buns like I used to so I will forever feel guilty for that, at least she had Peter and they seemed happy enough. Things will have to change now as he will be alone which I feel awful about, I have to end the cycle of buns somewhere though, I vowed a while ago that despite how lovely they are the stress is just too much as they are such sensitive little soles. Plus I just don't feel I can offer the time they deserve at the moment.

Your kind words are much appreciated.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Its not your fault you missed it... they can grow incredibly quick & be ruthless. Please don't beat yourself up.

I'm so sorry Janey. happybun has nailed it - I can't add anything to what she has said.

It WILL get easier with time also - hold on to that
x

I am so sorry for your loss :cry: one of the kindest but hardest things to do is to help them pass, binky free pixie x

Binky free Pixie. RIP. xxx

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Sadly guilt is a natural reaction to grief. You made your decision based on what you were told by someone in a trusted position. You have nothing to feel guilty about. xxx

Back