• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on vaccine reactions

Sparkyroo

New Kit
Hi folks, first post on here but really worried about my Bunny Dudley. I've had him 5 weeks and he is an indoor bunny. He's never been outside and I have no other pets. I took him to get vaccinated 9 days ago.
Whilst he was getting his nails clipped yesterday the lady noticed a lump on his neck/shoulder area and thought it was a small bite. I advised that he had been vaccinated around that area so she said to keep an eye on it, which I have been doing however when I checked today the lump seems bigger and it looks as if there are scabs forming.
I've phoned the vets who said they think it's a reaction to the vaccine and it can take 3 weeks to calm down and if I have other concerns I've to call back.
He's eating fine and is still his mischievous self. He's not bothered when I inspect it either. Has anyone else experienced this? I've got to say it doesn't look nice at all and I am worried.

Many thanks

Hi folks, first post on here but really worried about my Bunny Dudley. I've had him 5 weeks and he is an indoor bunny. He's never been outside and I have no other pets. I took him to get vaccinated 9 days ago.
Whilst he was getting his nails clipped yesterday the lady noticed a lump on his neck/shoulder area and thought it was a small bite. I advised that he had been vaccinated around that area so she said to keep an eye on it, which I have been doing however when I checked today the lump seems bigger and it looks as if there are scabs forming.
I've phoned the vets who said they think it's a reaction to the vaccine and it can take 3 weeks to calm down and if I have other concerns I've to call back.
He's eating fine and is still his mischievous self. He's not bothered when I inspect it either. Has anyone else experienced this? I've got to say it doesn't look nice at all and I am worried.

Many thanks

I have experienced this in rabbits several times. Sometimes it's just a small reaction, but it can be a huge open sore the size of a 2p piece.

Please don't worry, it should clear up OK, within 2/3 weeks depending on how severe it is. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not weeping or getting infected in any way (hay and hair can sometimes attach).

Welcome to the Forum :wave: I hope we hear more about Dudley in due course :D

Thank you MightyMax!

I had no idea this could happen. Dudley is my first house bunny and he was a gift from my other half for my birthday. I adore Dudley but I do get a bit over protective. Thank you for your reassurance.:D

Thank you MightyMax!

I had no idea this could happen. Dudley is my first house bunny and he was a gift from my other half for my birthday. I adore Dudley but I do get a bit over protective. Thank you for your reassurance.:D

You are definitely in the right place on RU then :lol:

Back