• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recovery food

Does anyone buy their recovery food online, specifically from Amazon? I've looked and it's got Oxbow Critical Care on there but I just wanted to know whether anyone else has used it. If so, do you know if it's cheaper to order online or buy the small sachets from the vet?

i've not bought from amazon but have bought it from hayexperts, viovet and vet uk i think. one of those is alot cheaper than the others but can't remember which! it is usually always cheaper to buy the bigger amount online i've found.

I've just got some Oxbow and Supreme from VetUK. There wasn't a lot between the price of the 2 cheapest suppliers online.

The Oxbow fine grind is the easiest to syringe up as it is a very fine powder. The standard oxbow comes in 100g and 450g? packs. These have to be measured out and come in a resealable pouch.

If you want to keep it for emergencies, the Supreme one comes in small sachets (1 sachet per kg per day) so would probably keep better over a long time as you only open what you use in one go. It also comes with a syringe. I am not sure what the difference between the standard and Plus versions is, though.

Does anyone buy their recovery food online, specifically from Amazon? I've looked and it's got Oxbow Critical Care on there but I just wanted to know whether anyone else has used it. If so, do you know if it's cheaper to order online or buy the small sachets from the vet?

Just a heads up, I wouldn't buy from VetUk at the moment. They are not fulfilling their orders from last month ...:shock:

Thank you both, I have to use it for a week or so at least once a week so small sachets don't last very long. I also don't syringe feed it to Storm and instead mix it with a tiny bit of water and baby food because that way he eats it himself, so it doesn't really matter how fine the powder is. I'll have a look at the websites mentioned though to have a look at prices on there :)

I've got three different ones at the moment that I'm using for a guinea pig (but they eat the same recovery foods as bunnies). Oxbow Critical Care Fine Grind, which I've got from Amazon, Supreme Recovery, which I've got from the vet, and Burgess Excel Dualcare, which I got from Vet UK (took a week to get here). The Dualcare is a pellet that you soak in water and then syringe, and gives you the option of feeding as a pellet too.

I've got three different ones at the moment that I'm using for a guinea pig (but they eat the same recovery foods as bunnies). Oxbow Critical Care Fine Grind, which I've got from Amazon, Supreme Recovery, which I've got from the vet, and Burgess Excel Dualcare, which I got from Vet UK (took a week to get here). The Dualcare is a pellet that you soak in water and then syringe, and gives you the option of feeding as a pellet too.
Which one do you prefer? And which one is the cheapest if brought in bulk?

Which one do you prefer? And which one is the cheapest if brought in bulk?

The Burgess Excel Dualcare is the cheapest by far - the sachets of Oxbow Critical Care really don't last very long at all and are pricey. It's a bit gritty to mix up (unlike the Oxbow Critical Care fine grind), but seems to go down well.

edit: I've just looked and both Amazon and The Hay Experts sell it.

The Burgess Excel Dualcare is the cheapest by far - the sachets of Oxbow Critical Care really don't last very long at all and are pricey. It's a bit gritty to mix up (unlike the Oxbow Critical Care fine grind), but seems to go down well.

edit: I've just looked and both Amazon and The Hay Experts sell it.
Excellent, thank you very much [emoji4]

Back