• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise on rabbit shed

The best way is to try to keep foxes out of your garden, I know if you have a large garden this might be difficult. Do they come into your garden?

I've not actually seen them but we have often had our bins rummaged in, so I am assuming they get in

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

No it's not true at all I kept my guinea pigs in a shed for months with no problems at all. Foxes and minks(much worse than foxes) are a problem in my area,but I didn't have a run on,just the shed and the Guinea pigs were happy,healthy and safe. If you have a good lock on the door it is safe.

A motivated fox could probably give breaking into a shed a good go and might succeed depending on the shed - but there are a few things you can do to make sure your bunnies stay safe and in reality I'm sure it's a much lower risk than in a traditional hutch/run set up.

For instance, one of the ways they can break in is if the overlap panels are a little loose, they can literally just prise them up, so make sure all the overlap boards are in good condition. Shiplap sheds tend not to have the same issue as the boards are all interlocked, but they're much more expensive to buy. I'd also suggest lining the inside of the shed - partly it's a good thing to do anyway to make it cosier, but also so that if a fox does manage to prise back any of the boards, all they get to is another lining board. Depending on what the windows are made of and how securely they fit, that's another potential way in, so I'd suggest meshing the insides of the windows, especially if they're made of perspex rather than glass. Finally, I'd put two locks/bolts on, one at the top and one at the bottom, so they can't prise the door open so easily. Depending on where the shed is, you could also attach a security light (the solar ones are pretty good these days too) to discourage a night-time fox. I had a fox attempt to break in to my aviary and they did have a good go at the wood, splitting it in several places (but didn't get in) so they will try if they're around and feel motivated enough to do so. I'm sure your bunnies will be delighted with their new shed and all the space it brings :)

My rabbits have two sheds which are very well made and sturdy and I have not had a problem, although a fox has been in the garden and been chased off by my two small dogs. As a precaution I have sliding door which I let down over their cat flap at night to prevent a fox getting in via the cat flap.

If you are really worried you could also cover the inside walls with sheets of board. This will have the added effect of insulation as well. :)

The foxes will usually go for easier prey where available: if you have bins they rummage in, they may well ignore your rabbits as they are probably a less-easy target. Covering the inside of the shed with boarding (whether you intend to actually insulate or not) will help prevent structural chewing damage (it will just be cosmetic) as well as the other benefits discussed. It's relatively easy :)

I am planning on insulating at some point but as long as it is not critical to the safety of the bunnies I will just do it in my own time.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back