• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to make your older buns eat Oxbow Joint Support, Oxbow Senior Support tablets?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
as so far, they just look at it. But I need them to eat those tablets

for those who have successfully to make your older buns eat them, please share your trick

Hi, I don't have any advice for those particular tablets. But when I was trying to get the oxbow immune system ones in my bunnies, I used to break them down into a paste by mixing with warm water & then add in some oats or grated carrot and Apple and squeeze them into a round ball and wait for them to dry out slightly.

Not sure if this could possibly be a suggestion to mix them with something else your bunny loves? X

Mimzy is 9 years old this year and he's been willingly eating the Oxbow Support tablets (all six types of them) for a few years now. I don't know why a bunny wouldn't find them appealing, unless it's just too strong an aroma for them. How long have you been attempting to get them to eat them?
I know Mimzy won't touch certain herbs, like sage for example, as he just doesn't like the smell. Could you perhaps disguise the tablets inside something else they do like? Some mint, or other treat, that will help to mask the aroma of the tablets?

I will note that, although Mimzy seems happy with these, I often can't give him many of them due to him getting a messy bum afterwards, or not eating his cecotrophes. Also I am not entirely convinced they really help his joints. He eats the digestive, immune, urinary, senior, skin and coat and joint tablets and still has tummy trouble, achy joints, poor coat and bladder sludge problems, so I think these are a bit of a gimmick. :( But he has to have something with his twice a day metacam to keep his stomach from getting the blast of painkiller, so.... :(

There is also a product out there called myristol. It is used for horses who have joint problems. You might consider trying this instead. You can find a rabbit friendly product containing it here: http://store.bunspace.com/Myristol-Pellets_p_59.html

Today is the first time I give them out to my 2 buns.

For your bun w/ bladder sludge, use Reverse osmosis filtered water, and take him to his urine spot every 2 hr., I hate when my 2 buns sits for many hr. not going to do their business, so I always take them to their spots whether they need it or not, every 2 to 3 hr.

as so far, they just look at it. But I need them to eat those tablets

for those who have successfully to make your older buns eat them, please share your trick

One of my rabbits is currently on Nutraquin+, which is probably a similar product. This comes as powder in a capsule. I cut a thin slice of apple with a large surface area and sprinkle the powder onto the apple to make it stick. Usually I have to shake off the loose powder and then sprinkle it back on until it stops falling off. It usually needs both sides of the apple slice. Could you grind your tablets into a powder and do something similar?

I don't use Oxbow, Ron has veggie glucosamine tablets. I crush them and mix it in with squashed banana or a teaspoon of baby food. And its gone in seconds.

Back