• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bisc won't go near his trays area

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
for the last few hours bisc won't go near his litter trays. he keeps bowing when he gets near them and then backs off again. i have no idea why. i've changed them again just incase but he still won't go near. thing is, he wants a wee and keeps going to go there and then does the same, bows and backs off.

any ideas? :(

i've moved the tray to him instead and he's gone straight in to eat and toilet. no idea why he won't go near the tray area though. :?

eta: he seems very nervy and on edge aswell.

I have no idea why he would do that :? Rabbits are really such complex creatures sometimes. I am sorry that he is adding to your worries at the moment.

I have no idea why he would do that :? Rabbits are really such complex creatures sometimes. I am sorry that he is adding to your worries at the moment.

they don't come much more complex that's for sure. bisc is very sensitive. it's really odd isn't it.

i'm trying to control my worry over him but i can feel it spiralling x

It could be he feels a little bit weird after the ear massage, has he improved at all yet?

I know how you you feel about the worry spiralling, I am currently feeling nervous and sick incase we need the emergency vet for Lola (the one we have currently have with a problem) as OH is working until 1am, and even then the out of hours vet is still 40 mins away. It gets me to the point I don't know if something is genuinely wrong with them or my mind over thinking things and I hate it.

yes, he's still doing it. it's to do with that area and not the items in it i don't think. usually when he gets spooked he will do this a couple of times but then just be brave and go for it.. this time he won't go near there at all.

i really don't know what it could be.

newbabybuns - i'm the same. i get to the point where i don't know if i can trust my own judgement and that's scary x

could be something to do with being nebulised and having his ears massaged perhaps?

Well actually I had forgotten about his being nebulised. The breathing in and possible shift of mucous could well make him feel a bit disorientated? I know that sort of thing leaves me a bit dizzy and light headed.

Vibes for you all xx

Last edited:
Well actually I had forgotten about his ring nebulised. The breathing in and possible shift of mucous could well make him feel a bit disorientated? I know that sort of thing leaves me a bit dizzy and light headed.

Vibes for you all xx

it does make sense and it wasn't long after actually. then if he's gone towards them and felt off, he will be associating that area with the same feeling. he is that sensitive so it wouldn't surprise me.

he seems fine now in the rest of the room.

he's quite nervy if you move something in his area sometimes aswell. might go along with his senses that i mentioned on his other thread.. maybe ears and eyesight. earlier on today whilst i was nebulising him, someone knocked really loudly on the door and bisc didn't flinch at all.. then when o/h walked down the stairs to come and answer it, as soon as he came into view, bisc jumped up.

so his ears make sense. especially being more waxy at the moment aswell. and the nebulising has shifted some wetness in his nose aswell although he doesn't have too much. he has always snorted a bit whilst asleep because his nostrils close too much when he's relaxed so sometimes he will make weird noises and his ears go forward. i don't think he knows the noises come from him sometimes. after nebulising he does sound a bit different again so maybe he doesn't know what the noise is.

i'm just guessing really. i can't figure it out. he's done this at spiders before aswell so i've checked his area but i can't find anything like that either.

Oh Bisc! You certainly are one for keeping your mum on her toes aren't you? :(

When I first saw this and knowing Bisc's hip trouble I thought 'he's suddenly decided the lip of the tray has become unmanageable for him.' This is what happened with Mimzy after his tilt and because of his spondylosis. But you said he'll use it if you move it from this one area. :?
I've never nebulized a bun so I can't speak to that however Mimzy has become a very wary and scary bun since his own ears and eyes have begun to fail. He has cataracts and is almost blind in his up eye. His hearing is all but gone. Touching him in any way without first blowing gently on him elicits his flight response and some thumps/foot flicks for good measure. I would agree Bisc has some disorientation going on since a bunny's ears give him so much information even just as far as balance is concerned. Perhaps he is bowing because he feels about to tip or fall? Has he been moving about a bit slower and checking his surroundings more, i.e. mental mapping?

Maybe keep some notes or a video of this new behaviour and take them to his vet when he is next seen...or ask them to advise you in the morning. :)

Worry is our way of taking extra care not to miss anything important, but remember our bunnies pick up on our feelings very easily. Try to take a cautious but optimistic approach for both your sakes. It's so hard, I know. ((((((((Huge hugs))))))))) :) xxxxxxx

ETA: My daughter would be grinning from ear to ear to hear that Bisc doesn't like spiders, she doesn't either! :lol: That would be her kind of bunny!

Oh Bisc! You certainly are one for keeping your mum on her toes aren't you? :(

When I first saw this and knowing Bisc's hip trouble I thought 'he's suddenly decided the lip of the tray has become unmanageable for him.' This is what happened with Mimzy after his tilt and because of his spondylosis. But you said he'll use it if you move it from this one area. :?
I've never nebulized a bun so I can't speak to that however Mimzy has become a very wary and scary bun since his own ears and eyes have begun to fail. He has cataracts and is almost blind in his up eye. His hearing is all but gone. Touching him in any way without first blowing gently on him elicits his flight response and some thumps/foot flicks for good measure. I would agree Bisc has some disorientation going on since a bunny's ears give him so much information even just as far as balance is concerned. Perhaps he is bowing because he feels about to tip or fall? Has he been moving about a bit slower and checking his surroundings more, i.e. mental mapping?

Maybe keep some notes or a video of this new behaviour and take them to his vet when he is next seen...or ask them to advise you in the morning. :)

Worry is our way of taking extra care not to miss anything important, but remember our bunnies pick up on our feelings very easily. Try to take a cautious but optimistic approach for both your sakes. It's so hard, I know. ((((((((Huge hugs))))))))) :) xxxxxxx

ETA: My daughter would be grinning from ear to ear to hear that Bisc doesn't like spiders, she doesn't either! :lol: That would be her kind of bunny!

he definitely checks his surroundings more, chins his things and gets confused if things don't follow their usual pattern. like when i have to pick him up, we do the same laps around the room in the same order otherwise he gets confused. he's always been a bit nervy anyway but this seems more than that. definitely a senses thing i think.

i will add to his list for the next vets visit.

i will also do my best to try and stay calm so he doesn't pick up on that aswell x

Back