• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clipping nails

Stiglet

Young Bun
Does anyone here clips their own rabbits nails??
At the moment I constantly take out rabbits to the vets to get theirs done. One of our rabbits really dislikes going to the vets though and the last time she clipped his nails , she cut one too short and it started to bleed. I don't really want to keep putting him through that stress and so was started to think about doing it myself. Was wondering if anyone can recommend some nail clippers I could get? He has quite thick chunky claws so they need to be strong.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always cut my rabbits nails myself - although some are a two person job, so not sure if that counts as "myself" :lol:

It's been a lot easier and quicker to do since I got some clippers that were specifically for cutting pets nails as the hole in the blades means I no longer have to manoeuvre big chunky back feet nails into human nail clippers!

If you want to bring your bunnies to me for a 'clipping lesson' I'd be happy to show you a variety of clippers available and show you how I do it hands on. I'm just up the road from Harmans Water KVets. I'm in Windlesham.

Last edited:
If you want to bring your bunnies to me for a 'clipping lesson' I'd be happy to show you a variety of clippers available and show you how I do it hands on. I'm just up the road from Harmans Water KVets. I'm in Windlesham.

I'm over in Tilehurst, I'm not quite sure how the bunnies would cope with that journey.
It would be the longest one they've ever done!

I'm over in Tilehurst, I'm not quite sure how the bunnies would cope with that journey.
It would be the longest one they've ever done!

No worries but the offer is there. It is a long way I agree just to have their nails clipped.

No worries but the offer is there. It is a long way I agree just to have their nails clipped.

Thank you so much. Are there any clippers you would recommend??
If I'm struggling to do the rabbits could I come over to you without them
For you to show me how you do it??

Sorry to totally hijack this thread, but I would love to take up your offer Duchess if you would be happy for me to. I'm about 20 mins away in Fleet. I can cut one of my bunnies' nails, but the other one is too squirmy for me - in fact I tried earlier today and only managed to do one foot!

Does anyone here clips their own rabbits nails??
At the moment I constantly take out rabbits to the vets to get theirs done. One of our rabbits really dislikes going to the vets though and the last time she clipped his nails , she cut one too short and it started to bleed. I don't really want to keep putting him through that stress and so was started to think about doing it myself. Was wondering if anyone can recommend some nail clippers I could get? He has quite thick chunky claws so they need to be strong.

Thanks in advance!

I use something like these

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...gclid=COqwnNPnu8sCFdW4GwodWmMMJQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

... though I've had them a long time, so I don't know what make they actually are.

I also shine a small torch underneath the nail so I can check where the quick is on each one. I too have had a vet make the nail bleed - not a happy experience for bun or owner!

I have some like those ones mightymax. They do the job. I sit my rabbits on my lap and hold firmly. Only manage one or two nails before they get restless though ...

I have some like those ones mightymax. They do the job. I sit my rabbits on my lap and hold firmly. Only manage one or two nails before they get restless though ...

They look really small in the photo, don't they? But yes, they are fine :D

I have a 'you'll never get away from me' grip - firm but fair. The rabbit gives up in the end and waits for a treat :lol:

Thank you so much. Are there any clippers you would recommend??
If I'm struggling to do the rabbits could I come over to you without them
For you to show me how you do it??

Absolutely - I always have nails to do for one of the bunnies.

I don't recommend scissor type clippers as they rely on the operator to open them and release the blades- which can cause problems if the bunny pulls the foot back mid clip. I by far prefer the spring loaded type which all you have to do is apply or release as required. I have lots of different branded versions of the same clipper but the most easily available version of them is by Mikki.

Last edited:
Sorry to totally hijack this thread, but I would love to take up your offer Duchess if you would be happy for me to. I'm about 20 mins away in Fleet. I can cut one of my bunnies' nails, but the other one is too squirmy for me - in fact I tried earlier today and only managed to do one foot!

Hi there. Yes of course I'd be happy to show you, even with a squirmy bunny. Just e- mail me on therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk to arrange when you are ready.

nail clipping

You have to be careful clipping nails, where the nail changes colour you should clip just to the outside. Don't clip too short or you will cause the nail to bleed. There are plenty of you tube videos on this.

Last edited:
Back