• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dexter's going to be neutered.

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi so I booked my rabbit to be neutered for Monday the 21st. I was telling the breeder I got him from and she told me that because of his size and pedigree he would be softer than a cross bred or bigger rabbit which has me concerned. Should I go ahead or cancel? He is a LionLop and Weighs 1.1kg (not sure if this is 100% accurate as he kept moving) he is a small rabbit and came from show lines, His dad came from the UK(I'm in Ireland). Any advice appreciated as I'm already terrified of the surgery.

Last edited:
What does she mean by him being softer?

A castration is a pretty straight forward operation, both of my males were back to normal as soon as they were home. My females however, they were absolute nightmares with problem after problem. Give me a male needing a castration any day! :lol:

Has he been given the go ahead by your vet? If so, no point in cancelling.

I think she means more delicate like a pedigree dog is more delicate than a cross breed dog I'm not sure if it's true a girl bought a rabbit off of her,and it died during the neutering surgery. He had a check up about 2 months ago and I just rang today they will be doing a check up before the surgery my parents won't let me take him for a check up a week before as they think it's just extra money being wasted. (I know they're wrong)

I think she means more delicate like a pedigree dog is more delicate than a cross breed dog I'm not sure if it's true a girl bought a rabbit off of her,and it died during the neutering surgery. He had a check up about 2 months ago and I just rang today they will be doing a check up before the surgery my parents won't let me take him for a check up a week before as they think it's just extra money being wasted. (I know they're wrong)

I have no idea but I'm not sure if there is any truth in that really, but then again I've never had a pedigree animal :lol:
Of my 2 males the one that was castrated at 5 months was very healthy and bounced back immediately and we had no issues, the one that was 5 years old and had mites, snuffles and had a dental at the same time was a bit slow for the rest of the day but no issues with eating, moving about etc. I kept them both in a smaller place for a day after but they were absolutely fine.

On the internet and in real life you will only really hear of the surgeries that went wrong, had problems or the animal died during the operation because people need help or want answers. Not a lot of people will start threads saying "neuter went fine!" so try to keep that in mind too :)

If your vets are rabbit savvy then if there is anything concerning them before the op they won't go through with it :)

I was talking to one person that got their rabbit neutered there,but there's not many rabbits neutered there. My main concern is anaesthetic as he is very small 1.1kg,probably the same as many netherland dwarves. I know I posted here before but I'm still absolutely terrified that he will die. I have noticed soft,dark small poos lately and told the vet,she said that happens sometimes it might be the readigrass? I only got it recently.

He will be a much happier and healthier rabbit once neutered, try not to be worried if you have a vet who is confident with rabbits then it is not a risky surgery. I've had two boys neutered and one who was allready neutered before adoption and they were fine, two of which are small breeds around the same weight as your boy. I've also had rats spayed and castrated and they are much smaller but all have been fine.

Best of luck to you

That's reassuring to hear the vet did say (before he saw Dexter not sure if size makes a difference) that the risk is only slightly higher than the risk of neutering a cat. I'm confident with my vet I've been going there for years with my dog who has had alot of problems recently and find them excellent. I have a 4ft x 2ft cage to put him in for a few days after surgery (skyline maxi xxl) and I'm going to put fleece with puppy pads under and should I put his litter tray in? His litter is wood based cat litter and hay on top sometimes but it will just be lying on top of fleece and I'll give him a water bowl and bottle.

Surgery is tomorrow! So far I have set up a 100cm cage with puppy pads and fleece,a waterbowl and bottle,foodbowl and I don't know if I should put his litter tray in there? I have his lunchbox packed with readigrass,hay,pellets and his favourite treats,Burgess excel country garden herbs,apple snacks and mountain meadow herbs.

Sending loads of vibes for Dexter's neuter tomorrow. I hope it goes well and that he will soon be back home with you afterwards.

Thank you I'm very worried about him. I've given him extra pellets tonight for energy tomorrow. He's in at 10am and I am collecting him in the evening between 4pm and 6pm.

Just to add some more positivity when my Nethie was neutered he was already wanting to run and jump around just 5 hours after the surgery! (Though obviously I didn't let him) Anyhow, good luck for you and Dexter tomorrow, though I'm sure you won't need it :)

Aw he should be fine!
I'm a vet nurse and I've seen rabbits as small as 0.9kgs undergo neutering and been fine :thumb:
Sending vibes x

WillowAndBiscuit that's great that's reassuring to hear. I'm thinking I'll put him in the 100cm cage for 2/3 days then put him in a 4 x 4ft playpen for another 4/5 then let him free range like normal only thing is with free range he has lots of places to jump on to/from.

Aw he should be fine!
I'm a vet nurse and I've seen rabbits as small as 0.9kgs undergo neutering and been fine :thumb:
Sending vibes x
That is reassuring Dexter is only around 1.1kg. I was at the same vets on Friday with my dog as he had a limp I've been using this vet for almost 9 years and I've always found them good.

He'll be fine Dylan :wave:

You're 100% doing the right thing, and I'm sending him loads of special vibes tonight to protect him tomorrow and help him heal fast :D

WillowAndBiscuit that's great that's reassuring to hear. I'm thinking I'll put him in the 100cm cage for 2/3 days then put him in a 4 x 4ft playpen for another 4/5 then let him free range like normal only thing is with free range he has lots of places to jump on to/from.
He will be OK to free range after 5 days as jumping won't be such a big no no providing that the wound is healing well :) He will probably be OK to be put straight into the playpen though as long as there is nothing to jump on as it is still small so he won't be able to charge around too much. My little man went into a 5ft dog crate after his and he was fine because I took anything he could jump on out first. Just make sure you put something over the top of the playpen so he doesn't try and jump out and hurt himself :)

No risk of him jumping out haha it's 4ft high. Just finding space for it in my bedroom will be the difficult part. This is the pen(dog only in for size comparison) I have moved my cockatiels to my sisters bedroom for the week just so it's nice and quiet for Dexter I don't think he minds the noise,but I'd rather not risk it.

You'd be surprised how high rabbits can jump when they really want to. Research has found that most rabbits can actually jump 4ft high and I find that pretty amazing! A bed sheet pegged on using laundry pegs should stop him from trying though :)

Edit: I must say that it looks taller than 4ft though haha

He's never attempted it before but then again he's never been in it for a long period of time,just the odd 10 or 20 minutes when I'm tidying. I'll put something over it anyway,better safe than sorry.

Back