• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not Sure If It Time To Say Goodbye - Advice please

happybunny

Mama Doe
We adopted Leah 2.5 years ago. I saw an advert on Gumtree with a very sad looking "wildie" coloured bunny (approx. 4 years old) and I could not stop thinking about her. Her bunny friend had passed away and her owner had gone away to university. We went to get her and I was disgusted at her set up. She had a small hutch (which in reality was a wooden box with an opening) and a small run which was just mud.

When we got her home we discovered she was blind in one eye and her front paws were deformed. She was a lovely little thing though and we managed to bond her with a male.

About 8 months ago we noticed she was dragging one of her legs when she moved. An x-ray showed she had a break in her spine and the vet was amazed she was not totally paralysed. He did however warn us this could happen. We put her on metacam but giving her it became a nightmare. She would struggle so much we were scared we would make the damage worse. When we put it on her food she refused her food. We stopped giving her it and she maintained her weight and still came running for food.

About 3 weeks ago he seemed to have deteriorated and started to sit with both legs out to her side and grunted a lot when she moved. We took her back to the vets and he suggested putting her back on metacam. we explained the difficulties and he agreed to trial metacam injections. Since then I have been on a rollercoater trying to decide if its time to say goodbye, my husband refuses to discuss it so I really could do with some advice.

Over the past 3 weeks (since the vet visit) her movement has reduced. She is getting dirtier on her bottom (occasionally sore). She does move around a little and loves her litter tray of hay. In the last 2 days she has started to become destructive. I am not sure if its boredom (as she can not do as much as before) or a sign she is in pain (I had a nethie who destroyed things when she needed a dental). I just wish I could ask her if she is in pain and if its too much.

I originally thought I would know when it was time as her eating would reduce. It has reduced a little but not as much as you would expect if pain was a major issue. Last Sunday she did not come out for her treats and I was ready to say goodbye but my husband would not agree. She did pick up during the week.

Any advice please?

Is she still on the injections and do you think they are helping her. The trashing of her litter tray could be down to Spring, some of mine are tearing up paper etc. Only you can make the ultimate decision, as we can't see the bunny it is impossible to advise really. It's really all down to quality of life and fortunately she has known 2 years of care in contrast to what she had before. Her early years have obviously had a profound effect on her health, so looking at from this point of view, the last thing you want is for her to suffer again. You will make the right decision I am sure, and we always say it is better to make that decision a little too soon rather than too late.

We adopted Leah 2.5 years ago. I saw an advert on Gumtree with a very sad looking "wildie" coloured bunny (approx. 4 years old) and I could not stop thinking about her. Her bunny friend had passed away and her owner had gone away to university. We went to get her and I was disgusted at her set up. She had a small hutch (which in reality was a wooden box with an opening) and a small run which was just mud.

When we got her home we discovered she was blind in one eye and her front paws were deformed. She was a lovely little thing though and we managed to bond her with a male.

About 8 months ago we noticed she was dragging one of her legs when she moved. An x-ray showed she had a break in her spine and the vet was amazed she was not totally paralysed. He did however warn us this could happen. We put her on metacam but giving her it became a nightmare. She would struggle so much we were scared we would make the damage worse. When we put it on her food she refused her food. We stopped giving her it and she maintained her weight and still came running for food.

About 3 weeks ago he seemed to have deteriorated and started to sit with both legs out to her side and grunted a lot when she moved. We took her back to the vets and he suggested putting her back on metacam. we explained the difficulties and he agreed to trial metacam injections. Since then I have been on a rollercoater trying to decide if its time to say goodbye, my husband refuses to discuss it so I really could do with some advice.

Over the past 3 weeks (since the vet visit) her movement has reduced. She is getting dirtier on her bottom (occasionally sore). She does move around a little and loves her litter tray of hay. In the last 2 days she has started to become destructive. I am not sure if its boredom (as she can not do as much as before) or a sign she is in pain (I had a nethie who destroyed things when she needed a dental). I just wish I could ask her if she is in pain and if its too much.

I originally thought I would know when it was time as her eating would reduce. It has reduced a little but not as much as you would expect if pain was a major issue. Last Sunday she did not come out for her treats and I was ready to say goodbye but my husband would not agree. She did pick up during the week.

Any advice please?

It's a very difficult call and I'm so sorry :cry:

Have you a trusted vet who can also advise you on this? You could perhaps also run it by the vet nurses at the surgery if they are amenable.

One thing I have found though, is just because a rabbit is eating, does not mean they are not suffering. The destructiveness could indeed be due to being in pain, and I think by your post you are very observant and intuitive and already have experience of rabbit behaviour.

If you feel in your heart that it's time, and you say that a week ago you felt she was ready, then all I would say is please don't feel guilty whatever you decide. You can only do your best and that's way good enough.

Good luck and hugs xx

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, Leah is still on medication at the moment. I am not sure if it is helping or not. :(

I tried again to discuss her quality of life with hubby but he just went quiet. I really need him to discuss it with me. x

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes, Leah is still on medication at the moment. I am not sure if it is helping or not. :(

I tried again to discuss her quality of life with hubby but he just went quiet. I really need him to discuss it with me. x

I'm sorry. Some people aren't ready to accept death as a part of life.

Could you discuss plans to cremate and jointly decide on a box (perhaps a wooden one with a rabbit on top?) for her to come back to your living room in?

Have your vet speak to your husband, not about PTS, but about the bunny's quality of life-the good and the bad. Also, how much is your husband contributing to the care of the bunny--does he hold her and comfort her. Could it be that your husband does not believe in PTS under any circumstances? Did he have a bad experience with PTS when he was younger?

We have been here before, sometime when I know for sure its time. He is never hugely for the idea but it is easier when I know its the right thing. It so much harder when I need help making the decision.

Anyway, hubby has agreed to a quality of life discussion with a vet. I am just hoping it a vet we both like and I can get an appointment today.

We had an appointment at 11:30 with one of the vets I really like. She said the kindest thing to do was to let her go. RIP sweetheart. x

I am so sorry to hear of your loss although not surprised. I am sure it was the best thing for your bunny who you saved from an awful home. RIP Leah xx

So very sorry for your loss. Its the hardest decision :( I'm glad she found a special forever home with you.

Binky free Leah xx

Back