• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emmy not eating

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
I am trying to keep her moving and have given her some peppermint tea. Is there anything else I can do at home?

I know from experience that sometimes she comes out of this after a little while and I don't want to stress her out with the vet if I don't have to. I will take her if I need to but would rather try some home remedies first.

I am trying to keep her moving and have given her some peppermint tea. Is there anything else I can do at home?

I know from experience that sometimes she comes out of this after a little while and I don't want to stress her out with the vet if I don't have to. I will take her if I need to but would rather try some home remedies first.

Is her poo output normal ? Poo output is just as important as what is being eaten

How long is it since she last ate ?

Is she drinking and is her wee output normal ?

Is she happy within herself of depressed and/or showing signs of abdominal pain (tummy pressing/stretching, sitting hunched up, feeling cold to the touch, tooth grinding) ??

Personally I would err on the side of caution and consult a Vet. Especially with it being the weekend coming up. 'Not eating' can represent a myriad of possible problems and it is absolutely impossible to say what may be going on without examining the Rabbit.

Hope she feels better soon xx

You could try infacol and tummy rubs? I am not saying you should NOT visit a vet, obviously, but just suggesting helpful home stuff :)
I hope these two article might help - they are good for future reference if not for today. Good luck xx

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits/

She is much more brighter that she was this morning. I've phoned the vet and they have said that I can given her the Zantac I have here and some Emeprid.

I don't think she has pooped but is drinking the peppermint tea and has just weed on the floor :)?) She was fine when I went to bed at about 11 last night.

She is currently cleaning herself and has been eating her special poops this morning.

No tummy pressing and has been sleeping in her usual 'loaf' position.

I have infacol and will try that. Just gave her a tummy rub when she was having her meds.

I don't want anyone to think that I won't take her to the vets because I will I just know that its some times easier at home than stressing her out in the car.

She is much more brighter that she was this morning. I've phoned the vet and they have said that I can given her the Zantac I have here and some Emeprid.

I don't think she has pooped but is drinking the peppermint tea and has just weed on the floor :)?) She was fine when I went to bed at about 11 last night.

She is currently cleaning herself and has been eating her special poops this morning.

I have infacol and will try that. Just gave her a tummy rub when she was having her meds.

I don't want anyone to think that I won't take her to the vets because I will I just know that its some times easier at home than stressing her out in the car.

If she has had no fecal ('normal' poo) output within the next few hours personally I would consider it to be essential to get her examined by a Vet.

I do hope that she will improve soon

Of course I would never think that you wouldn't take her to the vets! It's stressful and costly, and sometimes you can sort things out quickly and safely just as well at home. I shall probably get slated for that but that's what I think :D

I hope she continues to do well :thumb:

I think in certain circumstances that you are right Mighty Max. I would always take my buns to the vet if they needed it but as you said somethings can be treated at home.

She is currently eating by herself. I put some pineapple in their bowl earlier and she had some of that. I have also given her zantac and emeprid and that seems to have made her perk up a bit. I went out for about an hour and have come back to a much brighter bunny :) She is currently grooming Milo x

She is currently eating by herself. I put some pineapple in their bowl earlier and she had some of that. I have also given her zantac and emeprid and that seems to have made her perk up a bit. I went out for about an hour and have come back to a much brighter bunny :) She is currently grooming Milo x

I am glad she seems brighter. Has she had any poo output yet ?

I think in certain circumstances that you are right Mighty Max. I would always take my buns to the vet if they needed it but as you said somethings can be treated at home.

It all sounds good, and I hope things continue to get better :D

How are her poos looking at the moment?

Back