• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advise pls - 10 year old bunny

Mars

New Kit
Hi guys,

I dont really post here often but need some advice now. My 10 year old bunny had a funny turn. I went to give them food as usual and he was lying on a side and looked like having a fit or couldnt get up. I eventually got him up on all 4s, he seemed to be limping and hopped away from me. His companion bunny did not seem to be bothered about anything what was happening and just carried on eating. Anyways, they are outdoor bunnies and I worry that him being unwell it might be a cold night but dont really to bring him in alone. And then it be difficult to put them back out after staying a night in a warm house. He is eating some carrot and raisins now and is hopping about but still worried about him. I cannot stay up all night to keep an eye so not sure what would be the best course of action in this situation. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.

I think if it were my rabbit I would want to take him to be examined by a vet, even if it meant using an OOH vet rather than my normal one. I agree that it would be unwise to bring him in tonight and then put him back outside tomorrow night.

Sending lots of vibes for your rabbit.

Vet. Now.

Ring for advice at the very least. He should be seen as an emergency - I wouldn't wait until the morning. I would bring him inside anyway if you can - just so you can monitor him -food and water intake, wee and poo output, general behaviour. I would also make sure he has access to a warm area eg a box of hay with a snugglesafe heat pad. Sick rabbits can't regulate their temperature very well. He would be better with his partner with him as well.

What Shimmer said. This sounds like an emergency situation. I think you really need to call a vet asap.
This might help if you can't get hold of your regular vet out of hours? https://www.vets-now.com/
I've never used them myself but they are used by my vet's for out of hours emergencies and apparently offer free out-of-hours advice over the phone.
Don't split him from his partner and if you take him up to the vet take them both up together as it will be comforting for him to be with his partner while he's feeling ill.
If you have a Snugglesafe or a safe kind of heat pad as Shimmer said I would definitely heat that and place it in the hutch/enclousure for him in the meantime and keep him warm. Don't force him onto it but make sure he has access if he wants it.
But it definitely sounds like he needs to be seen by a rabbit-savvy vet asap

Thx everyone,
He is fine, not sure what happened. I took him to vets today and they had a look and couldnt see anything wrong with him. He is eating and drinking and chasing the other bunny as usual.

Thx everyone,
He is fine, not sure what happened. I took him to vets today and they had a look and couldnt see anything wrong with him. He is eating and drinking and chasing the other bunny as usual.

I've only just seen your post, so very sorry I haven't replied earlier.

It may have been, from what you describe, that he had a fit - seizure. He seems to have recovered on his own, and in my experience the vets are few and far between that have seen this in rabbits and who know what to do. The last time this happened with one of mine, I went along and I had to actually make the suggestions of what meds to put him on.

Keep a close eye just in case anything more happens :)

Back