• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting off the hoovering....

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
Who else finds they put off doing to hoovering until last minute because they're worried about disturbing the buns?

I started hoovering at 10am... stopped to have breakfast and the girls are laying sound asleep in their bedroom... I've been waiting since 10:30 to start hoovering again :lol:

Who else finds they put off doing to hoovering until last minute because they're worried about disturbing the buns?

I started hoovering at 10am... stopped to have breakfast and the girls are laying sound asleep in their bedroom... I've been waiting since 10:30 to start hoovering again :lol:

Oh god I do this ALL the time, I do most of my cleaning on a Saturday, and by 10am the bunnies are asleep, they sleep until around 3pm, so I wait until I do everything else and then go out to make sure they are awake before I hoover out there! :shock: They just look so settled I couldn't wake them up with the hoover noise!

I try to get my Saturday hovering done before they settle for their afternoon snoozes - I hate doing it in the afternoon know I might disturb them :lol:

Having said that however - they generally sleep through hoover time now anyway. I think it's my chattering about how "Henry the big red Monster is a friendly monster" actually disturbs them more than Henry does :lol:

I'm glad I'm not alone in this :D
They've never been massively scared of it unless it goes into their room... for that I just shut them out their room while I hoover it.

I'm like this with the piggies. The room I'm in at the moment currently looks like a barn because I daren't get the hoover out while there are any furry critters in here!

I'm like this with the piggies. The room I'm in at the moment currently looks like a barn because I daren't get the hoover out while there are any furry critters in here!

Awh bless them... I will admit... I often get on my hands and knees with a dustpan & brush if the girls won't leave their room.

Do you all just hoover when buns are there lol. I shut her in the back hall as I thought it would scare the life out of them :lol:

Yep, one of my rabbits starts thumping when he sees the hoover being rolled out. Dustpan and brush until it gets unbearable then the hoover comes out, although not before 10am and not after 2pm as that's nap time :lol:

Phew. Feel normal now. Aye, avoid hoovering. And if you need to, hoover everywhere but avoid wher they are laid. My old bunny was not fazed, you could lift her paws up to hoover under them 💤💤

Can't say I have this problem as Alfie would rather ride on the hoover than be scared of it! :lol:

:lol: My bun Max is the same. He's more likely to attack and grunt at it than run away from it. :roll:

ETA. Does anyone else have a bun who HATES the dustpan and brush? My Charlotte who's normally such a sweet little lamb, turns into beast rabbit when I'm sweeping with the dustpan and brush! :shock::lol:

Last edited:
:lol: My bun Max is the same. He's more likely to attack and grunt at it than run away from it. :roll:

ETA. Does anyone else have a bun who HATES the dustpan and brush? My Charlotte who's normally such a sweet little lamb, turns into beast rabbit when I'm sweeping with the dustpan and brush! :shock::lol:

*raises hand*
Yep. Mimzy always hated the mini dustpan I cleaned his enclosure with. He's the kind to run after it and box it, or upturn it while I'm getting the bag ready to fill it from. :roll:
I don't just have bunnies who hate the vacuum, the cats flee from it any way they can, the larger of my two dogs will find another room to run off to with her tail tucked. And of course, if I could, I'd run away from it too! :roll:
I always wondered what the pets would do if I got a Roomba, but I'd never have that kind of money and I can imagine what all the hay would do to it. :(

I just did the whole house last night and I was very worried about it because Fiver just had major surgery last week and the last thing I wanted to do was disturb him with a lot of noise. (We only have a Shop Vac and it's like having a screaming R2D2 following you around on thundering plastic wheels.) But he seems to have come through it okay. ;)

When we first brought our bunnies home they were terrified of the vacuum and I felt awful using it, but they are totally used to it now. They like to follow it around, I think because it usually has hay sticking out the bottom of it :D Having a cordless vacuum is amazing though as I used to stress all the time about them chewing the cable!

Mine are scared too, my fault for not trying to desensitise them to it when they were little really. We are in the ridiculous situation where the only way I can vacuum downstairs is if I catch Lola - this involves locking her into her litter tray (a ferplast indoor cage) carrying it into the kitchen - a struggle getting through the doors, and quickly picking her up. OH then has to vacuum while I take her upstairs. Needless to say the downstairs carpet is embarrassing as we don't do it anywhere near was often as we should. We get by with brushing as much as we can. OH is good at it, well until he got tennis elbow, I just seem to push it round the house further!

To do the rest of the house is fine, I turn the music up louder downstairs and shut the door and she is fine with that. I do wait until after sleeping time too. The other day I waited to put the recycling out as birds were enjoying the food we put out for them and I didn't want to disturb them :lol:

Back