• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Signs of pregnancy in rabbits

RebeccaJC

Warren Scout
I don't want anyone judging me I know this shouldn't have happened IF it has happened... But these things sometimes happen. My bunny Romeo who was 8 months old has just passed away most likely from an unknown neurological condition. 2 weeks ago I did a photoshoot with all my bunnies together.. Phoebe is spayed but Mindy is not, I kept a very close eye on them but at one point whilst I took my eyes off for even a second...during the photoshoot, Romeo caught Mindy.. she is not spayed. I did plan on breeding them when I got Romeo but as soon as Romeo had begun showing signs of illness I had no intentions at all.. not whatsoever. It just happened he caught her. I checked him and he was erect so yes I think he did catch her. I'm a photographer and I'm so glad I did the photoshoot but I'm aware that whatever Romeo had could be passed onto babies... I do have a plan if she is pregnant. If she is pregnant I'm guessing she'll be due around Sunday next week.. I plan on keeping all babies until 4 months old to check for signs of ill health before giving them away to friends and family, I also plan on keeping 2-3 of these babies and if any are ill.. I am well prepared to take on the ill ones.. and go through the heartache of losing them to.. This is my mistake and i have every intentions of caring for any babies that may catch anything from him though I'm hoping with all my heart if she's pregnant... This will not happen... and they'll be healthy.. I did not mean for this to happen.

So I have been checking Mindy.. for signs of pregnancy.. I have noticed her nipples have started to become prominent (which they did last time she was pregnant) but I don't know if this was a sign.. And I have tried palpating and felt one lump but I think I'm doing it wrong.. any other signs I should look out for? Again please do not judge. I will not be abandoning these babies.. No matter what and I'm prepared to take responsibility and go through any heartache and give them the best life.. if she gives birth. I will not be turning my back on any ill bunnies.. no matter what. Even if that leaves me with a zoo i'm prepared to take them on. So please again, don't judge. I'm worried enough as it is and going through the heartache of losing Romeo. I kept them separate after that, as I did not mean for it to happen and couldn't afford to spay her yet.. She was in a separate hutch whilst he shared with the spayed rabbit. I am keeping everything crossed for healthy buns if she's pregnant.. And it''d be nice to have part of Romeo still if she is and turn out healthy but I am also worried... And preparing myself for any heartache this might bring.. there's always the chance she's in the clear but I just don't know. :cry:

Cant help re; pregnancy signs but just wanted to say good luck with whatever the outcome is.

Hopefully it will be a lovely experience raising little ones and if she isnt pregnant then a big 'phew'!

Thank you. I am very worried but I know no matter what I will just give them the best possible life. I'm happy enough to take them on and love them with all my heart, I have the space and room at home and in my heart. I will do all I can for them, preparing myself for the worse but also the best.. I am hoping it's going to be a little miracle if she's pregnant and they are healthy or at least majority healthy. I'm keeping everything crossed.

I can't help much with the signs of pregnancy as I've never witnessed them first hand but to the knowledge I have the nipples being more prominent is normally an indication that she may be expecting. Some rabbits will build their nests at the last minuet, others will start building a week.few days in advance so be on the look out for her collecting her fur/hay/straw etc.

I'd advise not palpating her abdomen as you could risk causing bruising to internal organs etc if done incorrectly.

I really do wish you luck either way. If she does give birth I really hope they are all healthy. If not then at least you've done your research so you're able to provide for her.

Okay thank you. Ok thanks I'll not try palpate her any more. Yeah I hope they are healthy too. I can't believe what's happened really. Feel I've failed more then one rabbit. But I hope everything works out well. I have Phoebe and Mindy my two female rabbits together at the moment as Phoebe was cuddled into Romeo when I found her and think she'd have just been lost but going to have to separate over next two days. No nest built as of yet.

Back