• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is the up-to-date recommendation regarding preventative worming?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Just wondering what the latest information is regarding preventative worming in rabbits - especially houserabbits?
My vet always advises me during vaccinations that they should be wormed four times a year. I remember reading through several things a while ago and it seemed as though the necessity of preventative worming was being questioned, especially for houserabbits who aren't as likely to be exposed to worms as those housed outdoors. I don't like the idea of giving something if it isn't necessary. I found a post from the RWAF saying that they 'don't advocate the regular use of worming products in rabbits'. The post is however from 2013, so I don't know if anything's changed?
Because of this I haven't been giving it to them, though I gave Panacur to Willow in the past for E.C.
What do you all think? Do you give Panacur as a preventative? What about for E.C, would it be worth giving as a preventative for that alone? I've tried to find some recent studies but haven't turned anything up yet (I'm a bit stressed and trying to distract myself at the moment as Lunar is in for her spay - got another hour to go before I can call to see how she is :?)

Just wondering what the latest information is regarding preventative worming in rabbits - especially houserabbits?
My vet always advises me during vaccinations that they should be wormed four times a year. I remember reading through several things a while ago and it seemed as though the necessity of preventative worming was being questioned, especially for houserabbits who aren't as likely to be exposed to worms as those housed outdoors. I don't like the idea of giving something if it isn't necessary. I found a post from the RWAF saying that they 'don't advocate the regular use of worming products in rabbits'. The post is however from 2013, so I don't know if anything's changed?
Because of this I haven't been giving it to them, though I gave Panacur to Willow in the past for E.C.
What do you all think? Do you give Panacur as a preventative? What about for E.C, would it be worth giving as a preventative for that alone? I've tried to find some recent studies but haven't turned anything up yet (I'm a bit stressed and trying to distract myself at the moment as Lunar is in for her spay - got another hour to go before I can call to see how she is :?)

Hi there :wave:

I don't routinely worm my rabbits (it's usually a nine day course of Panacur for worms) though I believe some people do. I like to limit my rabbits' exposure to drugs unless they are necessary. I also do not give a 28 day course of Panacur as a preventative for E.C. If you did that you would have to dose all the rabbits who live together and share a litter tray.

Best vibes for Lunar's successful spay :D

I'm with MightyMax, I don't routinely worm my house rabbits.

The ingredient that gets rid of the worms only works as long as the rabbit is being given the dose. So technically, you could finish a dose of Panacur you were giving as a ''preventative'' but the rabbits could still get worms very soon after, the ingredient doesn't remain active in their systems when the 9 day dose is finished.

To me there's no point, as it only works as long as its being given.

I don't routinely worm my rabbits (it's usually a nine day course of Panacur for worms) though I believe some people do. I like to limit my rabbits' exposure to drugs unless they are necessary. I also do not give a 28 day course of Panacur as a preventative for E.C. If you did that you would have to dose all the rabbits who live together and share a litter tray.

I don't either. The only thing I do is treat my known EC rabbit for 28 days when there is a stressful event, such as when we moved house, because his history has shown that stress can trigger a relapse for him.

I don't routinely treat house buns either & I've known a few vets who don't recommend it due to the facts already stated, as soon as the treatment is finished they're at risk. (Unlike dogs who can be treated every month with a single tablet which prevents)

Thank you all :D So sounds like it's about the same advice as before. I just wanted to check in case anything had changed :p Advice changes all the time with more studies being conducted, new things being discovered all the time etc so I just wanted to make sure I was up to date. Thank you all :)

Off topic Lunar is fine and is back at home now recovering :D. She's not eaten at home yet but was eating and doing well at the vet. Just watching her closely tonight and for the next few days but the worst part is over, thank goodness! Some of the things I've been doing today to distract myself, though.. :roll: I'm glad she's home, I was running out of things to do! Oh well, at least we have a spotless bathroom now :lol:

Thank you all :D So sounds like it's about the same advice as before. I just wanted to check in case anything had changed :p Advice changes all the time with more studies being conducted, new things being discovered all the time etc so I just wanted to make sure I was up to date. Thank you all :)

Off topic Lunar is fine and is back at home now recovering :D. She's not eaten at home yet but was eating and doing well at the vet. Just watching her closely tonight and for the next few days but the worst part is over, thank goodness! Some of the things I've been doing today to distract myself, though.. :roll: I'm glad she's home, I was running out of things to do! Oh well, at least we have a spotless bathroom now :lol:
Glad she's okay, I hope she recovers well. :D

Personally I think it's worth treating. EC is a disease where you won't know they have it until it's already done some damage and most of the time treatment after the fact won't undo the damage. So yes, it's better to prevent the harm in the first place.
But I don't treat 4 times per year.

I think there is still so much confusion between Panacur\Lapizole EC treatment and worming to prevent worms. Given that many don't even rate it as a particularly treatment for EC now, I can't see the tide changing more in a preventative direction there.

But what I do find interesting is that, in guinea pig circles, a lot of people routinely worm. Although it's not something that vets seem to particularly recommend. Makes me wonder how common worms are to rabbits and guinea pigs (who have such a similar diet) - I have no idea really.

But what I do find interesting is that, in guinea pig circles, a lot of people routinely worm. Although it's not something that vets seem to particularly recommend. Makes me wonder how common worms are to rabbits and guinea pigs (who have such a similar diet) - I have no idea really.

That's really interesting. I've never wormed my piggies either as a preventative or because they actually had worms. I just assumed they were as uncommon in piggies as they are in buns.

Back