• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should we make a trio?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
We've been playing with the idea of having a trio for a while now.

The reason we're thinking about it is that Daphne is a rather dominant bunny & seems to mount Phoebe quite a lot. We don't see much mutual grooming but they will lay together. We're just wondering if having a trio (adding a male) would help settle Daphne's dominant behaviour.

Financially we could afford it, and we could adapt their room to suit the needs of three buns (we'd more their gate so they have their room & the hall way).
I'm just nervous, the girls have what I think is a fragile bond and worried trying to add another could completely ruin it.

We'd probably wait until summer to do this if we ever did. Mainly so that if it didn't work we'd set up housing in the garden for all three bunnies and then partner them off so they wouldn't be alone.

I just need some thoughts really. Are we thinking of doing something possibly terrible?

It sounds like a good idea, my last 2 sisters were on/off and on the off days the dominant one really was horrid to the other, so I paired then off each with their own boyfriend. I didn't want to try a trio. The "horrid" one is all sweetness now - I paired her off with cocky Tigger - I thought he wouldn't stand any nonsense. My first 2 sisters took a bereaved boy under their wing and it worked really well. They shared him completely with no bitchiness at all!

Thanks Tonibun - it does feel right to think about it. I've found a couple of boys that would be nice - I just know I need one who would stick up for himself but not bully.
Its partially because I'm still finding clumps of fur in the morning (it stopped for about a week) but both the girls have finished moulting already. You can't even get anything out when you brush them.

what I think is a fragile bond and worried trying to add another could completely ruin it.

I only attempt a trio or group if I am confident I can rebond the original pair if it doesn't work. If it goes wrong do you have room for 2 pairs?

I only attempt a trio or group if I am confident I can rebond the original pair if it doesn't work. If it goes wrong do you have room for 2 pairs?

Yes. I admit, they'd have to move outside which is why we'd wait until summer to even begin any of this.

I don't see a problem then. aslong as you are prepared and happy to deal with the worst case sinario I don't see any reason not to try if that's what you want to do.

Back