• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buster collar after spay

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi,

Darcy is just back from the vet after her spay with a buster collar on because she was pulling at the wound. My husband picked her up so never thought to question it :roll:. Would you keep the collar on or try an alternative way to cover the wound? I just can't imagine how she will reach any food the way the collar is sitting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Laura

Lopsy had one for 3 days post-neuter and he coped OK but then we do feed in different ways. Cecotropes were a problem, just about no way for him to get at those. He was OK with reaching:

10672176_10101277348981198_6945337189429616281_n.jpg

He was alright grazing and with hay too, and we hand-fed his pellets for the few days :) Can't offer any better advice, sorry! When we did take it off, though, he didn't got for his wound which was good.

When my bunny wore one, I had to hand feed him food and literally heap the hay so they can reach that and offer them water. I also used to take it off when I was their to watch and keep an eye with and only put it on when he was on his own. But my little man was so stressed and knocked into the side of his cage which was awful! Do you feel comfortable taking it off and on? Or suppose it might be be easier to keep it on.

All I can say is with the water. I used to put it on a spoon and offer to him and he licked it off the spoon. Then with food, always make sure the food is heaped up so they have more chance of reaching it

If they are really struggling, the vets should be able to provide a soft one.. Which is blue and allow them to eat better.

But awwwww Poor girly! :( has she got plenty of pain relief as could it be irritating her if it's painful?

Last edited:
She does look uncomfy, poor thing :( Is it tied on with a bandage? It looks like it is: Lopsy's was and I couldn't remove it without cutting the bandage (it was very frightening for me, doing that!). Ruthyjones' suggestion of a softer one might be better: give them a ring tomorrow.

Water hadn't even crossed my mind because Lopsy drank from a bottle at the time!

She was given a metacam injection at the vet and has some home with her as well. They syringe fed her as well. She hasn't eaten anything since she got home so I've decided to take it off for a bit and keep an eye on her to see if it helps. She looks so tired :( at least she has started pooing again.

I think I would also have taken it off, even if only for a while. It certainly looked very uncomfortable :( Sending lots of good recovery vibes for her.

I just feel it looks very tight and awkward, especially with her big ears!

Poor wee girl. It certainly does look uncomfortable.

Most vets these days use internal stitches so there's nothing to tug at. Maybe he's worried she will lick the wound?

I would certainly give her at least some time with the collar off, to eat drink (and be merry?)

She does seem happier now that it's off and hasn't been near the wound. Now time to try and get her eating...

My girl was very sleepy when she got home from her spay. Although she was nibbling a little hay and some pellets the first day(enough tokeep her system moving), it took a few days before she ate her usual amount.
Did the vet give you any pain meds to give her later today or tomorrow?

Darcy is doing much better today. I kept the collar off and the wound seems to be cleansed healing ok. She is eating little bits of vegetables and small chunks of banana which is her favourite!

Back