• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning fluid for rabbit boarding

Zen Rabbits

Young Bun
Just doing research into a cleaning fluid which would be suitable for laminate flooring and concrete slabs between guests

any recommendations? I currently use jewes fluid in the chicken coop and dog run. Wondering if it's too strong for bunnies noses though.

Virkon is good. Kills most things (including ringworm) and smells nice. Comes as a tub of pink powder. Vets and commercial animal places use it as a disinfectant. We also used to use it in a microbiology lab.

Bleach and liquid soap would normally be OK as well.

Not sure I would use laminate flooring for animal boarding. A continuous flooring such as lino would be better as there are no gaps, which makes it easier to clean and dry thoroughly, and therefore reduce contamination risks between clients. Gaps in laminate flooring would accumulate urine and could be an EC risk, for example.

Does Virkon kill EC now? It didn't previously. I wouldn't use something that doesn't kill EC spores for rabbit boarding.

Virkon is good. Kills most things (including ringworm) and smells nice. Comes as a tub of pink powder. Vets and commercial animal places use it as a disinfectant. We also used to use it in a microbiology lab.

Bleach and liquid soap would normally be OK as well.

Not sure I would use laminate flooring for animal boarding. A continuous flooring such as lino would be better as there are no gaps, which makes it easier to clean and dry thoroughly, and therefore reduce contamination risks between clients. Gaps in laminate flooring would accumulate urine and could be an EC risk, for example.

I meant Lino!! Sorry!!

We do boarding and we use Virkon it does kill E.C but the best cleaner for E.C is bleach .

Steam cleaners are great to use as well as they get in those hard to clean area's .

Last edited:
Years ago when I was treating my bunnies for EC, I was merrily using Virkon on everything, assuming it was killing the spores for a while. :(

The important thing is to make sure you adhere to the contact time with Virkon. It's probably 15mins and it needs to be wet on the surface for that time. If it dries in that time you need to reapply. I pull microbiology labs up for that all the time when I'm inspecting them.

Back