• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

just been emergency vets with bisc *u/d p62 worried,vets booked*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
:(

he seemed very stiff down his left side. nothing unusual about that really but something seemed off. checked him over and he was clearly in pain - breathing really heavily when his left side was touched. then at the top of his left leg/his hip area, i could feel a hard bony lump and something pushing through the skin :(

rang the vets, told them, set off, by which time bisc was quite flat and wrapped up in a blanket in his carrier. :(

anyway, the vet was so lovely and checked bisc over very thoroughly. she said he's very stiff in that left area, but aswell as his back, it's now his pelvis and left leg. it seems like his hip has dislocated which is what i felt, but we have been very lucky because it's popped back in again. obviously it could come out again so we need to keep a close eye on him.

she said i could leave him there tonight for xrays in the morning, or bring him home and take him back tomorrow. because he gets separation anxiety i chose to bring him home tonight. and thankfully he's already brighter than he was. he is eating already so that's good.

he will need xrays done again now to check his spondylosis and what changes have happened and then meds reviewed. but it does look like some changes have happened in his pelvis and leg now. even his front paw on the left hand side is tender. so basically his whole left hand side. poor bisc. he was so good for her though and she was so gentle with him.

such a worry though :(

Last edited:
Oh no poor Bisc :( Good that he's eating though. Such a worry. Can they prevent it from happening or is it just meds and obs?
Was it Lauren/Laura you saw? I saw her too this evening with one of my beardies who is still there :(
Lots of vibes xx

Oh no poor Bisc :( Good that he's eating though. Such a worry. Can they prevent it from happening or is it just meds and obs?
Was it Lauren/Laura you saw? I saw her too this evening with one of my beardies who is still there :(
Lots of vibes xx

she said it could happen again because if it's gone back in easily then it could come out easily. but we need to see what the xrays show really and then we will know more.

you know, i didn't even ask her name. she was lovely though. quite tall. she was so gentle with bisc and so nice to me.

sorry you've been there aswell :( hope your little one will be ok x

Oh it will be the new one something like Magrit, She was lovely to me on the phone when Spike's abcess burst.
Told you between us we keep them in a job :D

:(

he seemed very stiff down his left side. nothing unusual about that really but something seemed off. checked him over and he was clearly in pain - breathing really heavily when his left side was touched. then at the top of his left leg/his hip area, i could feel a hard bony lump and something pushing through the skin :(

rang the vets, told them, set off, by which time bisc was quite flat and wrapped up in a blanket in his carrier. :(

anyway, the vet was so lovely and checked bisc over very thoroughly. she said he's very stiff in that left area, but aswell as his back, it's now his pelvis and left leg. it seems like his hip has dislocated which is what i felt, but we have been very lucky because it's popped back in again. obviously it could come out again so we need to keep a close eye on him.

she said i could leave him there tonight for xrays in the morning, or bring him home and take him back tomorrow. because he gets separation anxiety i chose to bring him home tonight. and thankfully he's already brighter than he was. he is eating already so that's good.

he will need xrays done again now to check his spondylosis and what changes have happened and then meds reviewed. but it does look like some changes have happened in his pelvis and leg now. even his front paw on the left hand side is tender. so basically his whole left hand side. poor bisc. he was so good for her though and she was so gentle with him.

such a worry though :(

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this!

I wonder what made it happen? I'm glad you brought him home overnight, definitely the right decision. It's thanks to your vigilance that he has the brilliant life that he does :D

Oh it will be the new one something like Magrit, She was lovely to me on the phone when Spike's abcess burst.
Told you between us we keep them in a job :D

don't we just! so lucky they have their own out of hours though. i'd be in alot worse a state if they didn't. x

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this!

I wonder what made it happen? I'm glad you brought him home overnight, definitely the right decision. It's thanks to your vigilance that he has the brilliant life that he does :D

i've no idea why it happened. although he has been sprinting again and combined with the cold weather again, maybe it's just been too much. she did say it's most likely because of the spondylosis making his left hand side weaker, but there could be another reason so hopefully the xrays will clear that up. see if anything else is going on in that hip joint in particular.

i'm glad you agree that i made the right call about bringing him back home. it felt right and i thought another journey was the lesser stress overall for him. because he doesn't like being at the vets now as you know and i think being there might have then affected his eating aswell.

if anything, going to the vets at night seemed much less stressful for us both. the journey is quicker, it's dark and quiet on the roads, no-one in the waiting room at the vets and quiet there aswell.

so the plan now is to take him straight back if he doesn't seem right at any point. then the plan is general health check, xrays, and whilst he's there check his teeth again aswell. just everything really and take it from there.

typically again, aidan is off until next week!

eta: shoudl try and get some sleep now if possible. on the floor with bisc of course then he can wake me if he needs me. he digs my covers to wake me! i suspect he will need his rest tonight aswell. will get his heat pad ready aswell. so proud of him :love: n

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. So much more worry for you :( I too would have brought my rabbit home.

Sending loads of vibes for bisc and hugs for you.

Aww...poor Bisc :cry: I hope whatever happened to make his hip dislocate won't happen again, or that it can be easily addressed.
Thinking of you both and sending masses of vibes your way. xxxxxxx

you did absolutely the right thing - when you have such a very close bond with them if they can come home its best for them - though obviously not possible always. We rarely leave buns in overnight but instead have bought proper vet heat pads, nebuliser, glucose monitor, learnt to do subcut fluids etc. There are still times they need to stay but mostly they come home. Having said that our vets do not do their own OOH service - I might feel differently if they did..

thank you everyone. i'm glad some of you would have brought your rabbit home aswell. with bisc how he is, and being single aswell and closely bonded to us, i felt it best and he did seem to settle quite quickly once back home.

he's had a restful night but as expected there are lots of excess caecotrophs around this morning. but he appears to be moving around ok and he's eating drinking and toileting so that's good. he's already on metacam anyway and cisapride so that was part of the reason the emergency vet also thought that bringing him home was an option aswell. she was really nice saying she didn't think there was a right or wrong answer, just what i felt was better for bisc. obviously if she felt he was in immediate danger she would have recommended he stay.

i got it wrong about when we go back aswell. good job we rang first to check. so what she must have said was leave him over night and have xrays first thing, or take him home, let him settle and book him the next day (being wednesday) ... i'm glad really because i think bisc needs longer to settle from what happened last night. of course being open 24/7 i can take him to be seen again anytime and admitted should i feel that is best.

hopefully he will have a normal day today, calm down ready for tomorrow. she did say i could wait for aidan to be back next week if i wanted to but it seems too far away so we're booked in with shiva and he will re-check bisc and do the xrays and check-over.

hope we're doing the right thing.

so this bone that i felt, it was curved and i've looked at rabbit xrays on google today and that definitely looks to be the hip bone because that is the same kind of curve i felt. does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

and any other advice if anyone has any, please let me know. thank you again for the support x

thank you everyone. i'm glad some of you would have brought your rabbit home aswell. with bisc how he is, and being single aswell and closely bonded to us, i felt it best and he did seem to settle quite quickly once back home.

he's had a restful night but as expected there are lots of excess caecotrophs around this morning. but he appears to be moving around ok and he's eating drinking and toileting so that's good. he's already on metacam anyway and cisapride so that was part of the reason the emergency vet also thought that bringing him home was an option aswell. she was really nice saying she didn't think there was a right or wrong answer, just what i felt was better for bisc. obviously if she felt he was in immediate danger she would have recommended he stay.

i got it wrong about when we go back aswell. good job we rang first to check. so what she must have said was leave him over night and have xrays first thing, or take him home, let him settle and book him the next day (being wednesday) ... i'm glad really because i think bisc needs longer to settle from what happened last night. of course being open 24/7 i can take him to be seen again anytime and admitted should i feel that is best.

hopefully he will have a normal day today, calm down ready for tomorrow. she did say i could wait for aidan to be back next week if i wanted to but it seems too far away so we're booked in with shiva and he will re-check bisc and do the xrays and check-over.

hope we're doing the right thing.

so this bone that i felt, it was curved and i've looked at rabbit xrays on google today and that definitely looks to be the hip bone because that is the same kind of curve i felt. does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

and any other advice if anyone has any, please let me know. thank you again for the support x

Yes I absolutely concur with bringing him home. I'm glad he's settled and I agree with not waiting until next week for X-rays. It sounds quite marked what you've described, and if you need Aidan's opinion then the X-rays will all be there for him to study.

I envy you having a 24/7 vet! How wonderful and useful. It must be great for your peace of mind. And travelling out of hours is always better (for me as well!) and having a quiet surgery to be in without lots of dogs barking and hustle and bustle :)

Yes I absolutely concur with bringing him home. I'm glad he's settled and I agree with not waiting until next week for X-rays. It sounds quite marked what you've described, and if you need Aidan's opinion then the X-rays will all be there for him to study.

I envy you having a 24/7 vet! How wonderful and useful. It must be great for your peace of mind. And travelling out of hours is always better (for me as well!) and having a quiet surgery to be in without lots of dogs barking and hustle and bustle :)

yeh, next week just seemed too far away. even waiting until tomorrow now seems ages away. i don't want to go out yet i can't wait to get there at the same time.

bisc's excess caecotrophs have stopped now and he's acting pretty normally to be honest. it's all just hit me now though and i feel really teary all of a sudden. x

Back