• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sisters falling out

daisymaisy

Young Bun
First off, apologies if you're a member of rabbit world on FB, and have already been bored with this.

I've had Daisy & Maisy since they were 8 weeks old. They are sisters, neutered, and have been living happily together until recently.

The problem started the day after two new bunnies, Pepper & George (male & female, both believed to be neutered) arrived, week before last. They were unplanned for Gumtree rescues (the type that seller has to be rid of immediately). I set them up with what they came with as best as I could - well away from Daisy & Maisy's enclosure. The rough plan was to get them back to good health and eventually build them their own enclosure, or possibly even try bonding with Daisy & Maisy.

That first morning, I was just doing the normal morning routine with D&M - pulling the box of hay out of the shed I think, when all of a sudden Daisy lunged at and chased Maisy. There was an almighty squeak from Maisy, and when Daisy finally stopped chasing her I could see she had a mouthful of hair. It finished as quick as it started, but over the week the chasing continued, although I haven't witnessed (or heard) any actual attack.

I thought it was the smell of the newbies causing the change in behaviour, so as a last resort they've gone to my mother-in-laws house. She'd already fallen in love with them, and I agreed to think about them going to her, but certainly didn't think it would actually happen so quick. I really was in two minds about it - I'd already fallen for them too, but was so worried that they were causing all this from Daisy that I didn't really have much choice. I've been over to see them every day, but still feeling totally guilty for having let them down (although they're thriving!).

Since they left, the chasing had appeared to have eased off, but it kicked off again today. This morning, I found myself making 8 small piles of pellets around the enclosure, as Daisy wouldn't let Maisy near the bowl, and I've sat with them for hours to try and figure out what's going on. Several times, Maisy has gone to approach Daisy, but then ran away (not always being chased) - she really does seem quite fearful.

Although the enclosure is (in theory) foxproof, I put veggies down in the hutch between 9 and 10pm, and that's their cue for going in for the night (it also means I can make the hutch as snug as I can - keeping the chill out). Tonight, Daisy won't let Maisy near the veggies, and even if I could get them both in, I daren't close them up in the hutch for fear of what could happen overnight.

I'm currently watching them and wondering what to do. Separating them is an absolute last resort. I've no idea what I'd do for housing, and in the long run I can't see Daisy accepting another companion, and it doesn't feel right to make Maisy an 'only bun'. If I really think about it though, perhaps they haven't been 'besties' for a while. Not to extent that they're having barnies, but they haven't been all cuddly together for some time.

I should add that Daisy is also showing a little aggression towards me. She was attacking the dustpan and brush, which I replaced in case she was picking up on a smell she didn't like, and she eased off on that, but I'm a little nervous around her as she's giving off signals that make me think my hand may not be safe. She probably would have chewed my leg a few times, but I make a point of wearing wellies!

So - does anyone have any experience of this, or any advice? I've heard 'spring fever' mentioned, but I don't know if I should be waiting and watching, or take action before this gets worse.

Apologies for the essay!

I actually don't believe it. This has been going on for just over a week, and the very evening I post on here about it, I think I've found my answer.

So, having not put them away in the hutch tonight, I've had the floodlight on and have been watching Daisy & Maisy from the (dark) kitchen. We have a wild bunny running around and around the enclosure! I thought Daisy & Maisy had escaped! Quick headcount - then I realised! Oh wow - I'm sort of relieved!

OK - so what to do? I'm shaking like a leaf!

I actually don't believe it. This has been going on for just over a week, and the very evening I post on here about it, I think I've found my answer.

So, having not put them away in the hutch tonight, I've had the floodlight on and have been watching Daisy & Maisy from the (dark) kitchen. We have a wild bunny running around and around the enclosure! I thought Daisy & Maisy had escaped! Quick headcount - then I realised! Oh wow - I'm sort of relieved!

OK - so what to do? I'm shaking like a leaf!

Oh my! What a shock but most likely is your answer! Bless the little wildie coming to visit :love: :lol:

Not really sure what to suggest and I'm sorry your girls have fallen out! I will be following this thread!

I'm still having palpitations! This explains so much! Project barricade the enclosure starts tomorrow morning!

Think I'm relieved - this must be fixable. If I can stop wild bunnies being able to run directly around the enclosure perimeter, I might just save the bond.

Last edited:
This is quite interesting, although stressful for you and your bunnies. I hope you can keep the wildies from coming in/near D and M.

I tried catching it on video, but the light just wasn't right from the window! Just about to commence project barricade!

Back