• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No front teeth.

Bunnyface

Young Bun
Hi,

Im looking for some advice.

I am rescuing two male rabbits,
They are 4 - 6months old a bonded pair. I will be getting them tomorrow and taking them the vets to see when i can get them nutered. One of the rabbits has no front teeth, the other one might loose him.

Im just looking for some advice on what things i will need to do differently.

I know to cut up the veg small.

What about they hay and pellets?

Thank you [emoji4] [emoji195]

Hi,

Im looking for some advice.

I am rescuing two male rabbits,
They are 4 - 6months old a bonded pair. I will be getting them tomorrow and taking them the vets to see when i can get them nutered. One of the rabbits has no front teeth, the other one might loose him.

Im just looking for some advice on what things i will need to do differently.

I know to cut up the veg small.

What about they hay and pellets?

Thank you [emoji4] [emoji195]

Well done you for getting these rabbits!

Sometimes hay is difficult for a toothless rabbit to get ahold of with their gums. You can chop it a bit smaller. I use readigrass for toothless buns, and you can chop hay up the same length as the readigrass (a couple of inches or so) and that should be OK.

Pellets should be absolutely no problem at all, as they pull them in with their gums and chew on their back teeth.

When they are neutered, could you make sure the vet has a very good look at the state of the back teeth?

Well done you for getting these rabbits!

Sometimes hay is difficult for a toothless rabbit to get ahold of with their gums. You can chop it a bit smaller. I use readigrass for toothless buns, and you can chop hay up the same length as the readigrass (a couple of inches or so) and that should be OK.

Pellets should be absolutely no problem at all, as they pull them in with their gums and chew on their back teeth.

When they are neutered, could you make sure the vet has a very good look at the state of the back teeth?
Ok thanks for the advice! Where can i find the readigrass?

I will do. My vet its really good with rabbits. Im very lucky! She looked after my previous rabbit, Bella when she was poorly. So ill deffo ask her to have a look at the back teeth.

The othe rabbit might get to keep his front teeth just waiting to see if they go into line with eachother. Finger crossed they do but only time will tell.

Ok thanks for the advice! Where can i find the readigrass?

I will do. My vet its really good with rabbits. Im very lucky! She looked after my previous rabbit, Bella when she was poorly. So ill deffo ask her to have a look at the back teeth.

The othe rabbit might get to keep his front teeth just waiting to see if they go into line with eachother. Finger crossed they do but only time will tell.

I get readigrass from a farm shop, but if you search 'friendship estates' readigrass online, you can have it delivered.
I get through loads :D

I believe the HayExperts do it too.

Good luck xx

My rabbit has no teeth and he has got to be one of the happiest little bunnies I have ever seen. He's so bloody cute.

I cut the veg up small and watch him for a bit to see if there's any which he struggles with. I find things in strips seem easier to pick up like carrot peal or something. My rabbit eats hay but struggles to pick it up off the floor and can't get it in his mouth from the side, he can only tackle it head on. Having hay in a hay rack can help this as it makes it a bit easier to grab. I'd chop up some of the longer strands maybe but not to the extent where they fall on the ground and can't be picked up.

Pellets are no problem for him. They are gone in seconds. You will quickly know which things are too big for your rabbit to eat.

With them having no teeth, the vet told me the other day that they can grow back! So maybe a visit to the vet every so often would be a good thing as they can cause problems if they come back. My rabbits teeth haven't come back yet.

My rabbit has weepy eyes because he has scar tissue in his tear ducts from the infection he had in his teeth (when he had them) but by the sound of it, your rabbits don't have that issue which is good. If you did need advice on that, there are lots of posts on here with how to manage it.

It's nice to see so many others with toothless rabbits!

hope they settle in well!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My rabbit has no teeth and he has got to be one of the happiest little bunnies I have ever seen. He's so bloody cute.

I cut the veg up small and watch him for a bit to see if there's any which he struggles with. I find things in strips seem easier to pick up like carrot peal or something. My rabbit eats hay but struggles to pick it up off the floor and can't get it in his mouth from the side, he can only tackle it head on. Having hay in a hay rack can help this as it makes it a bit easier to grab. I'd chop up some of the longer strands maybe but not to the extent where they fall on the ground and can't be picked up.

Pellets are no problem for him. They are gone in seconds. You will quickly know which things are too big for your rabbit to eat.

With them having no teeth, the vet told me the other day that they can grow back! So maybe a visit to the vet every so often would be a good thing as they can cause problems if they come back. My rabbits teeth haven't come back yet.

My rabbit has weepy eyes because he has scar tissue in his tear ducts from the infection he had in his teeth (when he had them) but by the sound of it, your rabbits don't have that issue which is good. If you did need advice on that, there are lots of posts on here with how to manage it.

It's nice to see so many others with toothless rabbits!

hope they settle in well!

Thanks for the advice. I will try the grating the veg. I hopefully get them both later today so i can see how they are with hay.

I didn't know rabbit teeth could grow back! I will take them for check ups more often.

What treats do you feed your bunny?

Thanks for the advice. I will try the grating the veg. I hopefully get them both later today so i can see how they are with hay.

I didn't know rabbit teeth could grow back! I will take them for check ups more often.

Yeah to be honest neither did I until the vet said there were no signs of them regrowing. I was a bit shocked!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

Hi, not had a chance to read the other replies, I'll go back after I have posted or I'll forget what I wanted to say!

My Cookie bun had her incisors removed and she was absolutely fine, she would kind of suck in food like she was eating spaghetti :lol: she was a big hay muncher and I would chop some and leave it in a bowl for her but I'd often see her nomming the other hay :)

She was handed in at a vets with severe urine scold as she was living in a hutch that didn't get cleaned out "can you put her to sleep" luckily my friend just happened to be in there at the time and took her for me :) I had her incisors removed as they just kept growing poor thing :)

It was lucky your friend was there! [emoji4]

She sounds very cute. Ill try some hay in a bowl for him aswell

Thanks

If the front teeth are taken out properly, by an experienced vet, the chances of them growing back are very small indeed. In my many years of the toothless, I have only had the once. Shame to have repeat surgery!

I picked up the bunnies yesterday evening. They settle in very well. The one with no front teeth is eating long hay really well. Eating his veg last night really well. I cut it up small for them both and he ate his pellets fine this morning.

They are booked in to get nutered on friday and have asked the vet to have a look at their teeth while they are under general anaesthetic.

They are very happy, adorable little guys. Doing binkys and running around last night. Ill post some pictures for you guys to see. All i need now it to think of names! Haha 😅

15f071864d72db0312350e5a778105f9.jpg
0cfe1374e86299d423be8cc9715ce180.jpg
d1bb662b98ed277cbb000ccc0d55b80d.jpg
59b5a8377271da5168b56076b7ccd036.jpg

They black guy has little white socks on his front teeth.

:)

Back