• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Illness question

How long have you had your rabbit and how well do you know him/her? I have four, all approaching nine years old. Three of them, the slightest sign of illness would mean a trip to the vet. Matthew Rabbit, however, has 'off days' when moulting. He's not ill but he's just not himself. I know him well enough to try usual remedies (chasing him about a bit, offering favourite foods etc) before panicking.
In almost all cases, an 'under the weather' rabbit is ill and needs a vet, though.

I would say No but I suppose they might feel fed up now and then, but usually they are bright and ready, mainly for food!

Last week Holly, who is normally the most active, adventurous and cheeky of my two, wouldn't come out of her bed, her appetite dropped although I was able to entice her with greens and herbs to nibble something. They had their usual run of the garden and she's always impatient and first one out, but she stayed in bed. Pixie kept going in and snuggling up to her. I decided to wait because she was still eating albeit not much. I made sure there was dry bedding around her and hay in there. The next day she ventured into the main part of the hutch on and off, still only nibbling small amounts but still majority of the day was in bed. But was marginally better. The day after she was back to normal again. They are a year old and I've had them from 8 weeks, litter sisters and live together. Had she refused food then we would have taken them to the vet. But by still eating I waited.

She is back to normal and if she was not eating at all I would have taken them both to the vet. But her still eating made me go from hour to hour.

Holly is mad charging round the garden, through and over everything, I wondered if she'd knocked herself on something during one of her mad rushes round with her quick spin turns.

You didn't mention anything about poo/wee output, that is equally as important as what is going in. I am glad that Polly now appears to have recovered, but generally speaking I agree with what Babsie posted

I always advocate that if there is a change in a rabbit's behaviour they need to be seen by a vet. Certainly a decline in eating is, in my opinion, cause for concern and I would take to the vet the same day.

None of this has really helped, all that's happened is I've been told is because "apparently" she's recovered I "obviously feel I made the right decision" ... Taken from separate comments.
These are not the first rabbits I've had, but it's been a long time since I had any. I didn't expect to feel condemned because I'm clearly not a rabbit expert. I watched her closely, checked her every hour, more when I could, stayed with them as much as I could. checked her intake and output, encouraged her to keep eating, got her to drink, checked her for any obvious injuries. Kept her dry and warm. All I asked was whether rabbits can have times where they can seem, what we would call "under the weather" for want of a better phrase or description. Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable asking for advice now.

None of this has really helped, all that's happened is I've been told is because "apparently" she's recovered I "obviously feel I made the right decision" ... Taken from separate comments.
These are not the first rabbits I've had, but it's been a long time since I had any. I didn't expect to feel condemned because I'm clearly not a rabbit expert. I watched her closely, checked her every hour, more when I could, stayed with them as much as I could. checked her intake and output, encouraged her to keep eating, got her to drink, checked her for any obvious injuries. Kept her dry and warm. All I asked was whether rabbits can have times where they can seem, what we would call "under the weather" for want of a better phrase or description. Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable asking for advice now.

I am sorry that you have taken offence when none was ever intended.

To answer the question succinctly, no, Rabbits do not really have 'off days'. If they go off their food and/or appear to be lethargic/depressed it is almost always due to a health problem or possibly to stress such as seeing or smelling a predator.

I am sorry that you have taken offence when none was ever intended.

To answer the question succinctly, no, Rabbits do not really have 'off days'. If they go off their food and/or appear to be lethargic/depressed it is almost always due to a health problem or possibly to stress such as seeing or smelling a predator.

Thank you, that really is all I needed to know.
Stress is something I wondered but couldn't think what might have perturbed her but not her sister, they live together and Holly is usually the boldest one of the two.

Back