• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female humping male

cassierocks137

Young Bun
I successfully bonded my neutered male rabbit and female rabbit last October. But recently the female is starting to hump the male which is normal from what I read, but she seems to be pulling little clumps of his hair out when she is doing it. I've checked him over and there are no wounds, but is this something I should be worried about?

2c2eae02b195b7778b23d4ace0a4047c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

They are lovely! I know you have had your male neutered, but not sure whether you mean that the female is also neutered?

The female is not neutered when I spoke to the vet he said only doing the male would be fine as the female operation is has more risks

It doesn't sound as though your vet is experienced with rabbits.

In order for the bond to 'work' your female needs to be spayed otherwise this hormonal behaviour will continue. Yes, there is a risk - as there is with any procedure involving an anaesthetic - but unspayed female rabbits stand a very high chance of developing uterine cancer by the age of 5.

So, spaying really is recommended.

My advice would be to start another thread asking for rabbit-savvy vet recommendations in your area.

It doesn't sound as though your vet is experienced with rabbits.

In order for the bond to 'work' your female needs to be spayed otherwise this hormonal behaviour will continue. Yes, there is a risk - as there is with any procedure involving an anaesthetic - but unspayed female rabbits stand a very high chance of developing uterine cancer by the age of 5.

So, spaying really is recommended.

My advice would be to start another thread asking for rabbit-savvy vet recommendations in your area.

I couldn't have put it better myself :thumb:

If I take her to be spayed, could they be put together straight away or would I need to reintroduce them to each other?

Your bunny is feeling broody as it's Spring. You should be able to put them together straight after she is spayed as long as they are calm - she won't be able to run around or jump onto anything for a good few days afterwards.

If I take her to be spayed, could they be put together straight away or would I need to reintroduce them to each other?

You should be able to take them both to the vets together. I generally avoid separating bonded rabbits - especially if the vets are involved as they'll smell different.

I have booked her straight in. Thanks for the advise 😊 hopefully I will have healthy happy buns again in no time.

I have booked her straight in. Thanks for the advise �� hopefully I will have healthy happy buns again in no time.

I just don't feel confident that your vet is knowledgeable with rabbits - as the advice he gave you initially just isn't 'sound'.

"The female is not neutered when I spoke to the vet he said only doing the male would be fine as the female operation is has more risks "

I have booked her straight in. Thanks for the advise 😊 hopefully I will have healthy happy buns again in no time.

I second all that Basie has said. Please be sure your vet has carried out many successful rabbit spays in the past, and you are confident in him.

Good luck xx

I checked up on the vet and he has performed many rabbit operations. Lola is now spayed and recovered and back with buggs and no issues 😊

Back