• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sick of family telling me to get rid of bunnies :(

veexox

New Kit
My two buns patch and Nesquik live indoors which me and my partner are very happy with . They are happy just had a spaying op, and Nesquik has had a touch of Gi statis and patch has had some bladder sludge, with careful care and going to the vet both bunnies are much better but I'm getting really sick of people's lack of compassion towards rabbits.

My mother in law who comes to stay quite frequently has been telling me over and over again to put the bunnies outside in a hutch (in the middle of winter) that they are dirty leave hay lying everywhere, I should get rid of them why do need they be out of the cage , my daughter has nowhere to play now the dining room is the rabbits room (not true) she never wants to play in there anyway!!

I spend too much money on them they don't need to be spayed or have vet care I'm really saddened that my mother in law and quite a lot of other people think that rabbits aren't real pets and don't deserve the same treatment people give to cats and dogs. I suggested why doesn't she sleep in a hutch outside if she doesn't like the rabbits in here she wasn't happy!! A lot of people seem to think about rabbit should be kept alone at the bottom of the garden in a hutch no interaction and given no vet care etc it's disgusting and its so hard trying to educate people.

That is annoying. So many people just don't understand rabbits at all, they don't realise that they can be litter trained, or that they need so much space. It's nothing to do with anyone else how you keep them though :thumb:

I've had this over the years. The nasty comments about the hay on the floor, etc. Really, it's no one else's business. I always tell people that bunnies are very clean and don't get on the worktops like cats do. I don't have indoor buns at the moment as I lost my last one, Snowy, a year ago aged 10. Your mother in law is lucky she can stay with you. I wouldn't put up with it and would have to have a word with her. I have parrots indoors, had them 20 years. When mum in law comes for Xmas day she has to sit in the sitting room with the parrots to watch TV. Tough!

Thankfully I've never had this. My family see how clean the house is kept even with the bunnies in the house & my OH's mum hasn't met the bunnies yet (She will be in August).

Sometimes the older generation have trouble coming around. Its only just starting to become common knowledge that rabbits can live in the house and need a lot more than they have previously been given. Some of the older generation are very stubborn and will refuse to believe/listen. No matter how much proof you give them.

Yes I get this too from my mum. She automatically assumes that my 2 will be moving outdoors because she is allergic to them but they won't be unless we decide that will be best for them! They aren't the friendliest of bunnies so she always makes comments about that too, and how much friendlier my foster bunny is and we should 'just swap them' and send my own 2 back to the rescue & keep the foster :roll:

On the plus side she doesn't come to my house very often now because of her allergy :lol:

i used to get such a hard time over the pets. still do to an extent. i just don't understand it. what is so bad about loving and looking after an animal properly. it's like they'd think more of you if you neglected them :? i also don't understand why they can't just be supportive. they may not understand it but that fact it means alot to that person should be all that matters :(

I wouldn't have her over to stay or, if you have no choice, put her and her mess outside in the shed :thumb:

We've kept all sorts of pets over the last 30 years. My step kids have grown up with animals and my grandchildren love the pets. I believe if you bring kids up with animals around and teach them animals must be respected and spoken to gently and kindly, they learn to be kind to animals. I was never allowed pets as a child, mum had ocd. My Aunt always had pets. Dogs, cats, rabbits, etc., I just loved her and I'm sure I inherited my passion from her. Well.....you never meet a miserable, unkind animal lover do you?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

If she keeps hurting you why do you have her over? I would make it clear she can either accept and keep her mouth shut or she can stay away!

Wow, what a rude lady :? Maybe point out to her that you were raised not to make insulting personal comments where they're not asked for, and suggest she does the same. She is old enough to have better manners when a guest in someone else's house! :shock:

i used to get such a hard time over the pets. still do to an extent. i just don't understand it. what is so bad about loving and looking after an animal properly. it's like they'd think more of you if you neglected them :? i also don't understand why they can't just be supportive. they may not understand it but that fact it means alot to that person should be all that matters :(

Wow, what a rude lady :? Maybe point out to her that you were raised not to make insulting personal comments where they're not asked for, and suggest she does the same. She is old enough to have better manners when a guest in someone else's house! :shock:

Agree bisandmatt. You dont have to agree with how people do things but surely its bleeping obvious that being out of a cage is way better (for the animals) than being in one?!

Bad manners (to say the least) and a very uncompassionate outlook. She is lucky that you still let her come round.

Thankfully I've never had this. My family see how clean the house is kept even with the bunnies in the house & my OH's mum hasn't met the bunnies yet (She will be in August).

Sometimes the older generation have trouble coming around.
Its only just starting to become common knowledge that rabbits can live in the house and need a lot more than they have previously been given. Some of the older generation are very stubborn and will refuse to believe/listen. No matter how much proof you give them.

I've seen this with my mom as well. I think she was taught that animals were dirty and shouldn't be indoors, and I think it's hard for them to change an ingrained belief like this when they are older and have believed it for so long. Luckily my mom has come around though and has accepted my rabbits being inside and even likes them now. But it did take a while and was a gradual process of accepting it.

I'd point out that you choose your bunnies as house members, shame you can't do the same with family:lol:.

I suggested why doesn't she sleep in a hutch outside if she doesn't like the rabbits in here she wasn't happy!!
I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound insensitive to your situation but this made me laugh so much :lol: Honestly if someone was like this about my rabbits I'd probably tell them the same :p
I can certainly sympathize, though. It's surprising how many people will say nasty things about rabbits that they would never say about a cat or dog.
I've had 'Mmm, dinner!' from a couple of visitors, 'Rabbits belong outside' and 'it's unhygienic to keep them in the house' from three different family members and to my surprise have has several comments from people at the vets! (customers, not staff). I had one lady a few weeks back get down and talk to their dog and say to him 'look, there's a takeaway!' while pointing to Mishka's carrier- just after she'd been through the unpleasant procedure of having her tear ducts flushed :censored:

It's annoying. But just on rare occasions you get a surprise from some people. I saw two people the other week at the vets who I was certain where going to have that attitude but when they found out we had a rabbit they were surprisingly friendly. It turned out the older lady had a friend who has a houserabbit. And I've met a few more people who have heard of/have a friend/family member who has a house rabbit. It seems that when they know someone with one they become far more understanding about it.

I'd point out that you choose your bunnies as house members, shame you can't do the same with family:lol:.
Oh goodness, yes! This!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My family have given up moaning about my rabbit family.They have sort of come to terms with my "weird rabbit obsession"If they knew I spent thousands trying to get one of my rabbits well again last year they would have probably disowned me:lol:
Its annoying and tiresome but with the record of care rabbits have had through the years by some owners and all the rubbish advice still circulating the internet about rabbit "care" its sadly not surprising.Even some vets at the emergency vets I use when my rabbit savvy vets are closed regard rabbits as a "second class"animal.

It's not weird.....it's called .. caring and in my opinion the world needs more caring people. So keep caring and if others don't like it..so what. This is your life and to be lived as you wish it to be. Care, love and support those that don't have a voice.:thumb:

When my OH told his grandma I was pregnant the first words out of her mouth were ''You'll have to get rid of those rabbits then!'' and it really annoyed me, you know not ''That's wonderful'' or ''congratulations'' just, get rid of the rabbits...

The OH simply said ''I think I'll go before the rabbits do!'' because he knows better! I guess you could say times are different now but I still find it rude that anyone suggests you can or can't have your pets....

Quite frankly its nobody elses business.

In my opinion your OH should just ask his mother to keep her opinions to herself.

I can't understand why some families think they have some right to tell other family members what to do. I'm afraid that my outspoken self would tell her that it really doesn't have anything to do with her, although I would attempt to phrase it a little more tactfully in the first place.

I'm sorry, that sounds very frustrating and in particular I know it can be difficult when it's your OH's parents rather than your own.

My mum did make me laugh this weekend, the last time she stayed I don't think she was overly impressed with Trixie's fondness for nibbling on shoes (strange rabbit). This time she brought her slippers to wear in the house :D

Aw man... People are so inhuman. I often rock up to work covered in hay if I've had to refill a hayrack in the morning before work: the people at work just tell me maybe I should move in with the rabbits, I look like I'd belong :lol:

Back