• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy has just choked on a science selective pellet

Lady Logamorph

Mama Doe
So I gave her her tea and went in the kitchen....next minute I could hear her crashing around and when I looked she was struggling to breath and all this foamy saliva was coming out of her mouth. I tried to lift her up so her head was down but it was difficult as she's a conti and also she was only neutered on tuesday so was concerned about hurting her. Rang the emergency vet and managed to get there in 10 minutes. Poor daisy was really panicking at this point so the vet attempted to look down her throat but the pellet must have been out of view. We ended up deciding to sedate her as she was really suffering at this point. She then gave her an injection of buscopan to hopefully allow the food to pass down. After about 20 minutes of being under GA her breathing started to get a bit shallow and her heart had a slight arrhythmia so the vet reversed the GA. I've been sent home with baytril, zantac and loxicom. She is sat with me now and is tripping out a bit still from the ketamine. The vet said to keep an eye on her movement as she was starved off oxygen for a bit...her lips were blue at one point. Is there anything else I should be looking out for now? I'm just hoping that nothing went into her lungs.

Science selective pellets are in the bin and my rabbits will never be having them again!

I went into utter panic mode...had no idea what to do but remembered reading about Jane holding her rabbit upside down so tried that but with a 6kg rabbit it wasn't easy! The vet was very good though considering it was her first rabbit choking incident.

Oh no. So scary and lucky for her you acted so quickly. I hope she makes a full recovery.
Yours is the second I've heard of this week. Sadly the other bun didn't make it :(

I have heard about other people having this problem with SS as well mummybunnyem but now ive witnessed it first hand I will be switching back. Luckily I have some harringtons as well so will put them on that for now.

Oh no bunslave that's awful :-( I'm just glad I was with her and saw her. She is inside recovering from her neuter luckily but if she had been outside I doubt I would have even known as I tend to give them their food then come in and feed the dog.

If you are on FB it's the lady who runs Rabbits Require Rights bunny. So sad .
I tend to break ss pellets up before I feed now .
So glad Daisy is ok xx

Sending healing vibes for Daisy and calming vibes for you...good Lord, what an ordeal! :( I hope she will be feeling better soon. ((((((Huge hugs)))))) xxxx

Poor Daisy and poor you :( I really hope she recovers well from both the choking and the neuter. Sending loads of vibes for her.

My Benji choked on an SS pellet back in the day too, so I changed back to exel. Hope Daisy makes a full recovery xx

Hoping Daisy is recovering well from her terrible experience. And hope you are ok too, it's so upsetting something like that.

How frightening for you. I hope Daisy makes a full recovery. I feed oxbow pellets which are very small. Please write to the manufacturer and tell them, it's only by getting lots of complaints that we can make them change things.

Back