• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catching to health check is impossible!!

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Since my girls were spayed last year, they won't go near their carrier :roll: :lol:

They live in big sheds so trying to catch them to health check them and clip their claws is proving a nightmare, nearly impossible

Cant bribe them because they'll come near me but they're not really rabbits that enjoy being stroked, plus I think they know when I'm going to try and catch them :lol:

They have to come in the carrier to get indoors so I can check them over safely

How do I do it?! :lol: it used to be so easy, damn having so much space :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you! Willow and Biscuit are awful to catch, although Willow has started to make it easier for me by hiding in the upstairs compartment of the hutch so I can trap her in there and then get her out easily[emoji38]Biscuit on the other hand, I have to virtually chase him round their run and then grab him suddenly when I get the chance. I really really hate catching him like that because it must stress him out so much, but it's the only way I can catch him.

I've found that the only way this is made any easier is if someone else helps me so that we can corner him and catch him that way. It's not ideal as it does clearly still panic him but he doesn't let me catch him otherwise so I don't have a choice. Do you have someone that could help you?

Can you leave the carrier in the shed and feed them in it everyday? I did that when I had outdoor buns that were rather wild, and vet visits were fairly easy. Food in the carrier and door shut before they noticed!

I'm having to pick up Bramble twice a day to give her her meds. She will run into the shed so I can lock her in there and then she usually gives up and will let me pick her up. In the evenings 90% of the time she will just sit still in the run and let me pick her up! I think she secretly likes coming inside for a warm up in the evenings, clever bunny. I have a cardboard box on its side in the shed that they can snuggle in at night. Could you put something like that in for your buns? You'll probably find that they hide in there when they feel threatened so you can pick them up from in there?

I hear you! Willow and Biscuit are awful to catch, although Willow has started to make it easier for me by hiding in the upstairs compartment of the hutch so I can trap her in there and then get her out easily[emoji38]Biscuit on the other hand, I have to virtually chase him round their run and then grab him suddenly when I get the chance. I really really hate catching him like that because it must stress him out so much, but it's the only way I can catch him.

I've found that the only way this is made any easier is if someone else helps me so that we can corner him and catch him that way. It's not ideal as it does clearly still panic him but he doesn't let me catch him otherwise so I don't have a choice. Do you have someone that could help you?

My mum usually helps me and she also has the scratches to prove it :lol:
Only problem is they get so stressed out this way that they freak and kick out so quickly when we're clipping their claws!

Can you leave the carrier in the shed and feed them in it everyday? I did that when I had outdoor buns that were rather wild, and vet visits were fairly easy. Food in the carrier and door shut before they noticed!

My carrier opens from the top, but when I put it on the side they used to just climb in - now they've become wiser that They might be going to the vets :roll:

I think I'm going to have to buy two carriers just for their sheds, the things we do!!

I'm having to pick up Bramble twice a day to give her her meds. She will run into the shed so I can lock her in there and then she usually gives up and will let me pick her up. In the evenings 90% of the time she will just sit still in the run and let me pick her up! I think she secretly likes coming inside for a warm up in the evenings, clever bunny. I have a cardboard box on its side in the shed that they can snuggle in at night. Could you put something like that in for your buns? You'll probably find that they hide in there when they feel threatened so you can pick them up from in there?

B&B enjoy coming in once they're in too, we get loads of binkies and stuff!

I've tried the cardboard box but they've got so much space and tunnels and stuff, by the time I get close to them they just run&run

I'm trying not to stress them out because I feel like it might damage our relationship.
I can sit on the floor and they'll come near me, but then I have to try and grab them and I don't wanna lose the trust!

If they have lots of space their claws should stay nice and worn down, and you only need to look at them to notice if there is something wrong usually. You will need to catch them for vaccs so that will be a good time to check them over and if they are kept clean there shouldn't be a problem with flies.

I'm trying not to stress them out because I feel like it might damage our relationship.

I know what you mean, I absolutely hate catching them like that because it stresses them out so much and I'm scared it's damaging our relationship, especially as I've had to do it daily for the past week to give them their worming medicine [emoji20]

In my experience, although it stresses them at the time and they become wary for a while afterwards, the catching if anything promotes a feeling of trust in the rabbit. The more times you do it and nothing really bad happens for the rabbit, he/she will become more used to it.

You do need to be firm though and try not to show that you are also stressed.

Last edited:
If they have lots of space their claws should stay nice and worn down, and you only need to look at them to notice if there is something wrong usually. You will need to catch them for vaccs so that will be a good time to check them over and if they are kept clean there shouldn't be a problem with flies.

Bellas claws are short enough, but I definitely need to clip Binkys, her shed is mostly hay and tunnels and when she climbs at the bars I can see they need a trim

I know what you mean, I absolutely hate catching them like that because it stresses them out so much and I'm scared it's damaging our relationship, especially as I've had to do it daily for the past week to give them their worming medicine [emoji20]

I'm off to give it a try now! :lol: hopefully they don't strop for too long ;)

In my experience, although it stresses them at the time and they become wary for a while afterwards, the catching if anything promotes a feeling of trust in the rabbit. The more times you do it and nothing really bad happens for the rabbit, he/she will become more used to it.

You do need to be firm though and try not to show that you are also stressed.

Ahh yeah this is true, I didn't think about it this way!
They were both handled lots when younger so don't have a problem with the actual handling, just the being caught :roll:

Mine all loathe being held (only one out of four lets me stroke him and then only once before he hopps away)! I just have to grab them and stuff them into carriers for vet visits. I usually trim their manes then too.

I do feel bad about the stress it causes them but ... has to be done. They soon seem to forget luckily.

Mine all loathe being held (only one out of four lets me stroke him and then only once before he hopps away)! I just have to grab them and stuff them into carriers for vet visits. I usually trim their manes then too.

I do feel bad about the stress it causes them but ... has to be done. They soon seem to forget luckily.

I guess stress free doesn't happen with rabbits eh! :lol:

I managed to get Bella out, clipped all her claws and put her down to have a run around
She kept hopping onto my lap for cuddles and laid on the floor next to me...which is why I don't get why she's gotta be so stubborn about coming out! :lol:

I've been through three carriers: the latest Cabrio top-and-side opener works so well! I use it in Winter as a warm hidey-hole with half the top open :) Getting both in at once can still be a challenge though...!

I guess stress free doesn't happen with rabbits eh! :lol:

I managed to get Bella out, clipped all her claws and put her down to have a run around
She kept hopping onto my lap for cuddles and laid on the floor next to me...which is why I don't get why she's gotta be so stubborn about coming out! :lol:
I know right?!?! Man, they LOVE coming in for medicated treats! And Lopsy LOVES having a few minutes in the house because it's safe and new and so explore-worthy :lol: We have to not let him out or we'll lose him!

I can't really pick mine up: my technique is awful and they're lovely bunnies until I'm trying to take their feet off the floor! Then it's all-feet-away! I scruff-and-bum them because it's the quickest, least-stressful technique for all involved, even though it goes against every instinct! Hopefully over summer me and the buns will get some quality picking-up-training time to sort it out :) Might also be able to handle them for a check too (currently it's a non-visual tactile inspection!).

When my two know I'm chasing them for carrier/vet time, they tend to run into their house, after that I tend to block the exit and lift them out of there, they can't escape and just accept they have to be picked up. Milo is much easier to catch than Finn...Finn loathes being touched.

Its never easy though :lol:

Thought of this thread today. Just been out and given all four of them a trim (manes) and managed to get three claws clipped (two separate rabbits). Only 62 more claws to trim ...

thanks everyone, I find other owners struggles at capturing rabbits reassuring lol!
I do definitely find them a lot easier to get out in the summer for some reason too! :lol:

Thought of this thread today. Just been out and given all four of them a trim (manes) and managed to get three claws clipped (two separate rabbits). Only 62 more claws to trim ...

I hope the other 62 claws are as stress free as claw clipping can be! :lol:

thanks everyone, I find other owners struggles at capturing rabbits reassuring lol!
I do definitely find them a lot easier to get out in the summer for some reason too! :lol:

I hope the other 62 claws are as stress free as claw clipping can be! :lol:

Thank you. I think it may 'only' be 61 ... 64 take away 3 is 61!

You could spend some time just sat in the shed with them. Maybe you could hand feed their food to them? Then they will get used to you and not get so stressed when you come in to catch them.

Back