• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Donating Cage/Toys from Possible EC Rabbit

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I was wondering if it is safe to donate a rabbit cage, toys, bowls, etc... from a rabbit who possibly had EC. My buddy just left me this morning and I'm just trying to focus on what I can do instead of breaking down. :cry:

Would I need to clean the items in any special way? Like using bleach or something? Or is vinegar enough as it's only really transmitted through urine? They suspected he may have had it, but I just want to be safe.

I know I won't want another bunny in my life any time soon and I know there are a lot of bunnies in need. Any insight would be really appreciated.

I actually still have my enclosure that Mimzy used before he got head tilt. I have cleaned it six ways from Sunday and it sits idle, but I'm a little OCD, so I'm not certain it isn't good for another bunny. Someone else might have more knowledge. Or you could ask your vet what they'd recommend. I think there has to be a bleach solution used but I don't recall the ratio of that to water. And it would have to be well rinsed so as not to leave any traces of bleach on it.

Perhaps a bit soon to be thinking of these things now. (((((Hugs)))) Give yourself time to grieve.

I see you have two bunnies in your signature? I would be wanting to have the other bunny seen to be sure he is not also infected. Apologies if I am mistaken. Be kind to yourself and if you need to talk, my PM box is always open. xxxx

It is normally recommended to use a 10% bleach solution or steam clean for EC. Small items like bowls could be soaked overnight in a bucket of bleach solution. I have used the bath to soak larger items in for a couple of hours. Wash and scrub as normal first to remove any dust and debris. Then disinfect. Rinse, then air dry - sunlight is good as the UV also disinfects.

It would be good practice to clean everything before it is put away / donated / used for another animal anyway - whether there was EC or not. If it can't be bleached, do your best with normal cleaning methods.

So sorry you lost Eddison.

I seem to remember that the spores live for four weeks. Check out exactly how long though. If you leave it long enough, you shouldn't surely have to do a major EC clean on toys? I agree with Shimmer that anyone should do a decent disinfecting job on anything going to different animals.

I'm so sorry to see your news. I must admit, I've still got all my bunny bowls, litter trays etc. I've even got an old soft toy!

I was wondering if it is safe to donate a rabbit cage, toys, bowls, etc... from a rabbit who possibly had EC. My buddy just left me this morning and I'm just trying to focus on what I can do instead of breaking down. :cry:

Would I need to clean the items in any special way? Like using bleach or something? Or is vinegar enough as it's only really transmitted through urine? They suspected he may have had it, but I just want to be safe.

I know I won't want another bunny in my life any time soon and I know there are a lot of bunnies in need. Any insight would be really appreciated.

I am so sorry your little one left you :(

You could put the bowls and perhaps the toys through the dishwasher - that will cleanse completely and kill any E.C. lingering, if there was (unlikely but good to be thorough). It would prevent a future bunny from being put off by the lingering smell of bleach :)

Back