• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Astro Turf.

Bunny Boo.

Warren Scout
I am considering putting astro turf down in my run, at the moment is has patio slabs down but i want to put something softer under foot. I was thinking of putting the remaining lino down that i have left over from my shed but i am thinking it may be a bit slippy when they get up speed and have a good run around! Any suggestions from you guys on type of astro turf as there is so many out there at lots of different prices?! Has anyone got any pictures of there astro turf? :)

I'd be wary of using AstroTurf incase they decide to chew it. I have slabs down which I find help wear own their claws. Is there a particular reason why something softer is needed?

I'd be wary of using AstroTurf incase they decide to chew it. I have slabs down which I find help wear own their claws. Is there a particular reason why something softer is needed?

I was recently at a rabbit rescue collecting my girls after they had been bonded with there new husbuns and in every run they had astro turf down, not only did it look far more pleasing to the eye then concrete slabs the bunnies all seemed to be running around on it far easier then my girls did at home on slabs! I asked them about the possibility of them chewing on it and they said they have never had any problems with it. Three of my bunnies are very large and it concerns me that they are on such rough ground especially as I've been told big bunnies can be prone to sores on their feet.

That's interesting that a rescue uses it. I know what you mean about slabs, mine get very slippery in bad weather as algae starts to build up on them, the drainage holes around the edge of the run get blocked with bunny fluff! Hopefully someone who has had more experience will post on this thread later.

Hmm i've not heard of a rescue using this before. I would worry too much about chewing, I know my girls will chomp on anything :roll: I guess this would be less likely if it was short crop but I still wouldn't risk it - just my opinion though.

I have read about the use of fleeces, vetbed and stable matting to help with sore hock prone rabbits :)

Last edited:
As others have said - I'd be worried about them chewing at it & possibly ingesting it.

How about something like soft bark chippings? This I think looks nicer than slabs & if you litter train them it should be easy to keep clean.
(Obviously make sure its rabbit safe if they decide to have a nibble & isn't treated with any pesticides etc)

I don't think I'd personally use astro turf. What about doing something like this instead:

a9f34197340416b426a860f3ce7ced10.jpg

If anyone is thinking of using bark chippings, it needs to be playbark, as ornamental bark is treated with chemicals. I used it in my run when I had outdoor rabbits.

I have astro turf in my garden. At the moment Mr Higgins's run has lino under it. Once the summer is here I'm very tempted to try him on the astro turf. Obviously I will supervise him to make sure he doesn't chew it. Good to know that a rescue uses it. I think that instinct will stop him trying to eat it but time will tell. I'll let you know when I try it. I'll also ask the vet his opinion when I take him for his yearly check at the end of the month.

Back