• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice on cage setups please

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi sorry for posting so much,I must be driving you crazy with all of these posts. So I want to cage a rabbit,guinea pigs and a hamster,I feel the guinea pig cage is too small (4 x 2ft) and my rabbit is never in his cage ((4 x 4ft x pen) he is out in my bedroom 24/7 and I also have a spare 100cm cage. Would the 100cm cage be ok as a litter tray/base for a rabbit that is free ranging 24/7? And then the guinea pigs would have the 4 x 4 pen,and I would convert the 4 x 2 cage for my hamster. Do you think this would work? Any suggestions on changes? Thanks for any replies.

Hi, I can't help with recommended cage sizes for hamsters and Guinea pigs but for rabbits (and any animal in my opinion ) the bigger the better. I think having a room that is rabbit proof that he can free range in permanently will be great, as 4ftx4ft is really too small, the rwaf recommend a minimum of a 6ftx2ft hutch with an attached permanently accessible run of 8ft x6ft http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm. My house rabbit free ranges in one room and stairs and landing, he doesn't have any cage as a base, just litter trays and a bed etc, you could use cage bases as litter trays.

There are lots of photos in the housing sticky for inspiration :thumb:

No need to apologise for posting a lot, there is so much to learn on here and it's great to chat about rabbits :thumb:

The 4 x 4 cage is only used for his litter tray and the door is open 24/7 he free ranges in my bedroom. Since he is never in it,and the guinea pigs are in a smaller cage,I thought it would be better to give the guinea pigs the 4 x 4 cage. Bear in mind the base that I will be using is only a litter tray I just want the top on it to hand hay racks and a water bottle.

My (free ranging) house bunnies only ever have litter trays & comfy zones with fleeces. No need for cages if they are never going to be caged in. Its lovely to hear your boy has permanent access to all of your bedroom. My vote would be to give the guineas the bigger cage

Thanks for the replies,they have been very helpful. That's great the 100cm cage will be a litter tray only,and I can convert the 4ft x 2ft cage for my hamster by wrapping wire around it,which is 1,152ssq inches(If my maths is correct) and the recommended size is 360 sq inches

My Piggies live in a pen :-

My rabbit was freerange with just a littertray.

Should all be great for all of your animals!

*lily* that looks great,how do you find cleaning? I find cleaning the rabbit pen easy because it's just the litter tray and some stray poos. but I know Gp's can't be litter trained reliably.

The litter tray has to go in a different place,does this usually affect litter habits? I'm worried he will pee in the wrong place because he is used to the current location.

*lily* that looks great,how do you find cleaning? I find cleaning the rabbit pen easy because it's just the litter tray and some stray poos. but I know Gp's can't be litter trained reliably.

Well they are the messiest animals ever! :lol:

I have puppy pads on the floor, usually have to change at least 2 pads, twice a day. Have been known to have to change the whole lot if they have had a wee fest!

I have folded puppy pads in both the carry cases, filled with hay, which I change twice a day also as they wee in there too!

The litter tray has to go in a different place,does this usually affect litter habits? I'm worried he will pee in the wrong place because he is used to the current location.

When we had Louie we actually moved house so, of course, the littertray was in a different position! But, he found it straightaway and used it, no problem!

Thanks for the replies,I have decided to give it a go. I posted pictures on another thread. I know the feeling they definitely are messy.If you don't mind me asking is it expensive to buy the puppy pads? I put a towel down,then fleece on top. I found some a pack of 7 for €1.50 is that a good price?

Thanks for the replies,I have decided to give it a go. I posted pictures on another thread. I know the feeling they definitely are messy.If you don't mind me asking is it expensive to buy the puppy pads? I put a towel down,then fleece on top. I found some a pack of 7 for €1.50 is that a good price?

I pay £12.99 for 100 puppy pads, I get them at B&M, don't know if you have this store in Ireland?

I'm only an hour away from Derry,In Northern Ireland maybe there will be a b&m there I will check when I'm in Derry over easter.

I just checked,there is a b&m bargains near me. Wood based cat litter is also very cheap in there I will definitely go for a look I only saw a 30 pack of puppy pads online though?

I just checked,there is a b&m bargains near me. Wood based cat litter is also very cheap in there I will definitely go for a look I only saw a 30 pack of puppy pads online though?

B&M do a 30 pack and also a 100 pack :), so much more instore than online!

I should be able to go in 2 weeks. I have to get Dexter neutered over Easter so I'm saving up. I'm thinking about leaving it to May/June due to financial reasons and I'm scared too.

Back